Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen

Nisai

Oxygen

Hi all
    Probably get slated here.

The best point of entry of oxygen in my view its gota be to the filter
    if you aerate the pond or boil the water you can not see the koi properly.
    and the idea of keeping koi is to see them,
    And if you turn off the aeration to the pond the fish thinks whats the hell is going on and sink to the bottom of the pond.

Steve W

Tategoi
    The fish get guarded whenever something new is introduced to the pond environment, whether for their good or not. Assuming that something new isn't edible.

Aeration IN the pond is a matter of moving the water around too. TPRs do this as well, but few people put TPRs in the bottom of the pond pointing straight up. Aeration moves the bottom water to the top in addition to adding a bit of oxygen to the water.

Nisai
    Hi Jason

But can you see the your koi with the pond boiling,
    Most of the new ponds i have seen is like a boiling pan of water.

Steve W

My koi don't seem to mind when I turn off the pump. Don't know if that is normal or not but thats how mine react.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Tosai
    Mine come to the surface when I turn off my bottom diffusers because they know that they are likely to be fed.

~Raymond.

can't see my koi with my airdomes on... I have a remote control to run off air pumps. The koi don't freak out at all.

Joe

Tosai
    Diffusers in the pond are really important as heavier gases stratify near the bottom. The most efficient way to get oxygen in the water is to get the heavier gases to the surface where they can exchange for oxygen. The diffusers do not actually add oxygen to the water, the help facilitate oxygen exchange at the surface.

Nishi8

Air diffusers on bottom drains ...

Drain air diffusers contribute very little to water oxygenation, that is not their purpose. What they do is destratify the water column layers (unless like someone posted you have low TPRs pointing up and doing this function), but more importantly, the water lifted by the air, moves to the pond sides, then down the pond walls, thus wiping down any debris hanging onto the wall algae.

When bottom drain air diffusers are on, to some extent the modified water flow disrupts the water circulation that is so important in creating that toilet bowl effect. Therefore, although effective for cleaning the side walls, air diffusers are counterproductive if on all of the time.

I recommend using bottom drain air diffusers only 4-6 hours per day (I do it on a timer when I am not likely to be around watching the fish), leaving the TPR induced circulation most esffective 18-20 hours a day.

For their given role, bottom air diffusers must lift a lot of water, you should see a water bubble at least 1" high above the pond water level.

The koi really do not mind that, mine actually "play" in the air bubble column.

I hope this is helpful.
    Arthur

Hello Steve, I have 2 9'' diffuser, 1 on top of each bottom drain, plus a waterfall and a 84'' tall Trickle tower, and you are right when the air pump is on, the water looks like is boiling, I also hava a off switch by the pond and when I turn the air off, the fish know that is time to feed them and they come up to look for you. I think it may work by pumping air directly to the filter but in my case by having the air go directly to the pond I get to pump as much as the pump allow, but if I did it to the filter I have to reduced the amount of air going into it.

Jesus

One more thing by having the diffuser on the pond, and specially on top of the bottom drain it help to move the solids toward the bottom drain and get them pick up a lot faster and so helping the filtration process.

Jesus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast