Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: How do you think juniors should be judjed???

Question How do you think juniors should be judjed???

How do you think juniors should be judjed,

A, be judjed on the best koi in the vat,

B, be judjed on who won the most prizes or

c, who has the most varieties of koi in the vat.

cheers

brake san

Blake what you mean by junior????

Joe

Smile

In the U.K, BKKS shows sometimes have a junior award, for exhibitors under 16yrs.

Cheers brake san

Quote Originally Posted by brake san
    How do you think juniors should be judjed,

A, be judjed on the best koi in the vat,

B, be judjed on who won the most prizes or

c, who has the most varieties of koi in the vat.

cheers

brake san
    I would go with "B" as it shows the quality in the tank.. Having 1 good koi is godo but having a tank full of quality impresses me even more..

The most varieties in 1 tank seems to easy...

Just my non expert opinion...

I think from a learners position, what demonstrates your grasping of the hobby is to have a vast variety of koi with different needs well represented. That tells me that you understand preparing koi, presenting koi at the right time in their development and your learning your lessons of water quality and handling as well as transporting. It's all intregal in your development as a koi hobbiest.

Somerset, England. (land of the country bumpkin)
    Hey Brake, I think it should be judged by the junior with the biggest smile, you'd win every time!!

On a serious note, I think there should be 2 awards, 1 for the highest number of accumalated points for placed koi, worked out on a point system for first, second and thirds in various classes (total number of placed koi) and 2 an award for the Junior Grand Champion for the 'rated' best Junior koi in the show.

Name your show and I'll put up a couple of trophies for you and the others to chase after for 2006.

Maurice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice

Name your show and I'll put up a couple of trophies for you and the others to chase after for 2006.

Maurice.

Let me know Maurice.. I will contribute to this as well. I love the new youth.. UK seems to have a heck of a lot of Koi Kichi youth...

Joe

Tategoi
    50% of total score from the written examination, 30% from oral interview, 20% from practical knowledge test (cleaning out the judges' filter system(s)).

Different shows have different criteria. Dick's criteria are tough enough for an adult hobbyist that they'd certainly qualify for junior judging.

Daihonmei
    wel note buy there speling...

Blake the highest compliment paid to the hobbyist is when someone walks by their Show tank and saids, "My this hobbyist has a handle on this hobby."
    The tank will have fish of a similar air such as "price" or size or quality...or show the perspective of the hobbyist by the patterns and varieties the hobbyist is exhibiting AS A WHOLE. The tank will glow with healthy fish. not the most expensive but fish that were chosen wisely and properly cared for.
    So since in the "jr" division we are judging the "jr." it should be his body of work and not an idvidual example.
    If the fish are able to pull some ribbons out of the hands of grown men then so much the better, but the best "jr." there should be judged on his total effort, or shortcomings.

I think Koi shows are about the fish not the exhibitors.

Youngsters to the hobby should be encouraged at club level by the activities of the club rather than performance at a show. I've seen more upsets at koi shows with Junior awards than with the youngsters competing alongside everybody else. We had three youngsters showing at our recent show, all walked away with awards for their fish.

If I was forced at gunpoint to intorduce a Junior type award, I would go for best fish exhibited by a 'junior'. The winner would still be the fish.

rgds