Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True definition of a "Show Quality Koi"

True definition of a "Show Quality Koi"

I never went to a dealer and a koi was advertised as a show Quality koi... So what is it?

Was Loran a Show quality koi years before it went? To me it was a well conditioned koi that won a show.... twice at all Japan...

Or do we buy a koi and condition it to a show quality koi...

Just some thoughts before my monrning ride...

Joe

Daihonmei
    if ya show up with a thick wad of cash and say, "I wanna buy some show quality koi." You'll see bunches of them....tategoi all the way through to floaters.

The other aspect....what "show"? and what competition within the show.....
    I got some show quality koi..and the ribbons to prove it..... Nothing you'd want in your pond though

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    I never went to a dealer and a koi was advertised as a show Quality koi... So what is it?

Was Loran a Show quality koi years before it went? To me it was a well conditioned koi that won a show.... twice at all Japan...

Or do we buy a koi and condition it to a show quality koi...

Just some thoughts before my monrning ride...

Joe
    I think the quick definition would be a fish that is finished 80%. Also it depends on the variety. I think in order of folks to see they should be able to see live examples. We got to remember that a fish by Japanese standard of judging that shows youthfulness makes a stronger impression than one that is completely finished.

Loran in those days would be show quality...By todays standards there are other fish that would beat it.

Me personally I buy fish to enjoy growing, conditioning and when nature deems the fish ready then I will show it.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Smile

In my opinion there are two types of show koi, those for today and those for the future, they must both have good skin quality, and good body shape, more important in the first as you can always work on the second, in go-sanke a good basic pattern, if showing today, strong sumi must be present in sanke and showa, kohaku, good crisp sashi and kiwa, with koi for the future we can only hope that sumi appears where we hope and kohaku sashi and kiwa improve. When going for none go-sanke look at the judging standards set down for each variety and try to follow as closely as possible, body shape is most important, but at the end of the day, your the one who has to feed it and look at it, so buy what you like. Good luck!

Cheers brake san

Intersting comments as expected so far..

So has a koi ever been turned down before or its owner and sent home because the show said that is not show quality???

Because it does not fit standards????

Joe

i'VE BENCHED FOR A FEW YEARS AND THE ONLY TIME I EVER SENT A FISH HOME WAS BECAUSE OF HEALTH.

There have been some less than pond grade koi the owner brought in that it really didn't fit into anything, yet they wanted to show. Thank Goodness for Kawarigoi ( the catch all class) tougher than kohaku to win in!

As indicated by others many things are relative. size of show, quality of competition. Knowledge of dealer and hobbyist.

Intersting comments as expected so far..

So has a koi ever been turned down before or its owner and sent home because the show said that is not show quality???

Never heard of such a thing happening....People will see the level of hobby that is out at shows and I think it should be and eye opening experience for someone to go look. This is not to discourage a hobbyist from showing, but atleast they can appreicate what comes out...

Because it does not fit standards????

Never heard of such a thing happening either...

Joe

Thumbs up

My opinion is...you will know one when you see it!!! In a tank with many other fish..its skin will glow and its quality will be unmistakable!!! Its pattern will look like a work of art.

Yes, I know...you will say, will it be big enough...will the pattern hold up or change? But, on the day you first see it...you know if you enter it in a show, you are leaving with a pretty new ribbon!!!!

Tosai

Does it not come down to the Koi on the day of the show?

Does it not come down to the Koi on the day of the show?

I have several show quality koi if you talk to the people I bought them from.
    It is just that there never seems to be a show when the koi are ready and looking particularly good that day...
    I can not tell you how many times I have been out there in the middle of the night in the pouring rain getting the koi bagged and ready to go and you take that last look and go maybe not today. This koi is looking a little off or I didnít see that before. What is really fun is when you do get to the show, unload the koi, take a look around and find out that you should have brought her anyway. She would have competed quite nicely with the koi that did manage to show.

John

Daihonmei
    Twiggy, ain't that the truth...maybe when we get some really righteous koi we can be more confident.....
    or we can actually accept the fact that the koi taken to the show ain't perfect...just forgiven...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast