Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do you think is the Goal of YOUR koi Show (the second thread about goals...

Tategoi
    It is fun to put a show together and see it come off. The comraderie of that is terrific--people of like interest enjoying their hobby together.

We stand around the tanks and see terrific fish, more than we would see in any one place in other circumstances.

It is fun to see your friends win, and a rush to have a horse in the race, win or lose.

Hi Luke,

I've been involved in Koi Shows since 1990 (my first job was car-park attendant) at both Club level throughout that time, and National Level 1993-97, 2003-5. During that time I've held a number of jobs, mostly associated with the centre ring, but also including Vice Show Chair (97-98).

The clubs stated aim is to 'Promote the hobby', which I belive shows do.

But more realistically the show is a bonding exercise for the members. Putting on our show takes 10 days out of our lives. 10 days where we are all working together and probably seeing and getting to know each other more than we do at the monthly meetings.

The show itself provides a showcase for the hobby, and we use it to bring people from all over the country and abroad to expand our network of contacts.

The show turns over a modest profit which is reinvested in the club. This aspect has been cited by members of the trade as the main reason for holding shows, but if we paid 'basic minimum wage' to all the people involved it wouldn't ever get off the ground.

So, in conclusion, to promote the hobby and strengthen the club both spiritually and financially.

Lastly, it brings about opportunities to meet up with former-colonials.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

Looking back on the other posts it appears that the majority of people that have posted have put on a show and also exhibited.

This is not always the case over here. At our recent show we had about 60 show workers but only 14 of those exhibited koi. So the quoted competition factor mentioned isnt so directly prominent here. Of those other exhibitors it would be fair to say that the larger proportion of them are actively involved in shows of their own club, but there are a considerable number that just show their koi and do not otherwise get involved in the workings of Koi Shows.

rgds BERN

#1. Promote hobby
    #2. Get those who have nice koi to show and represent Nishikigoi.

These would be my top 2 things...

Did anyone mention club membership? I believe showing koi should attract more people to the hobby, clubs, etc.... i do enjoy kicking butt (which doesn't happen very often).

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12