Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you think is the Goal of YOUR koi Show (the second thread about goals...

Daihonmei

what do you think is the Goal of YOUR koi Show (the second thread about goals...

here it is...what you think...

Whether you just go to a show or whether you are the potentate of koishowchairmanships, that all past and wannabe in the future Koi Show Chairmans seek the knowledge from, feel free to say why a group of people puts on a koi show... what's their goal?

since a club is made up of individuals I thing the goal is two fold.

As individuals to see how our collection fairs with others in competition. This will help us to judge how our eye and are water keeping is doing.

as a club the purpose is simple, to educate and encourage new membership among the general public.

well said Dick. I might add that there is a social aspect with like minded nut cases . Sharing time, information, and laughs....

Smile

To foster the study and appreciation of koi.

To create a walking tour of years of hardwork displayed well in a short instant.

Ditto Bob, I spent a short time at Koi America checking out the competitors, but most of the time talking to different people about the hobby and exchanging ideas. The whole idea of having a lot of people who love the same things you do is very nice to be a part of.

Daihonmei
    A goal should be measurable to determine if it has been meet......

but yeah, compete, see fish, see and talk to people ..those are part of it

and that competition concept about being able to compare koi so you can determine who has the best husbandry skills....aHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHhsahshahahahahahahaha h (another thread?)

Wink

To kick the a-s of other koi keepers!!! I love koi keeping, but enjoy competition for its own sake. I don't just enjoy the journey..I strive for a very specific goal. Last show I did (long island, NY), I entered 6 koi. Came away with 4 first place ribbons, 2 second place ribbons..and won the judges award. Had a smile on my face for a week. Didn't win GC..but still thought I deserved it. The winner was much bigger...but my sanke's quality was 100% better. Now that I'm starting over...my goal is to win the smaller sizes...GC later!!!

How many of you really look at it as an athletic sort of competition? It is my nature to look at it this way...but I am wondering if others here feel the same way?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz
    To kick the a-s of other koi keepers!!! I love koi keeping, but enjoy competition for its own sake. I don't just enjoy the journey..I strive for a very specific goal. Last show I did (long island, NY), I entered 6 koi. Came away with 4 first place ribbons, 2 second place ribbons..and won the judges award. Had a smile on my face for a week. Didn't win GC..but still thought I deserved it. The winner was much bigger...but my sanke's quality was 100% better. Now that I'm starting over...my goal is to win the smaller sizes...GC later!!!

How many of you really look at it as an athletic sort of competition? It is my nature to look at it this way...but I am wondering if others here feel the same way?!?!
    We do enjoy the rush.. you get when showing and competing against other high quality koi. And if our fish win that is just icing on the cake. But regardless if our fish win or loose, we most of all enjoy good competition.

Sansai
    Brutus, well spoken. I agree it is as much about the competition as it is the challenge of keeping and growing these jewels.

The goal of the show is to encourage the competition. Even if you don't walk away with GC - best in size 1 or best in variety size 1 for some is like hitting the sweet spot on a golf ball for a novice - keeps em in the game for another round.

I'm glad some of you see it my way!!! Still nothing more satisfying in life than winning!!! It does require a great deal of work and studying to develop a competitive eye for koi. At least winning a medal tells me my skill is improving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast