Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you rate the success of you pond this year

Junglegeorge, you must have a lot of land.. Where in PR are you? You don't own El Conquistodor do you.. ?

Joe

Oyagoi
    El Conquistador??? Funny you should mention that...but no I don't own it, how did you know about it???We own a nice tract of land in the mountains in the north central part, and have the use of another one in the southeastern part of the island. The house we live in is on the top of that mountain, and has a view you cannot buy any more, we can see the whole north shore and have about 10 cities under us. At night it is like a carpet of lights. I will post you some pics one day.

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12
    El Conquistador??? Funny you should mention that...but no I don't own it, how did you know about it???We own a nice tract of land in the mountains in the north central part, and have the use of another one in the southeastern part of the island. The house we live in is on the top of that mountain, and has a view you cannot buy any more, we can see the whole north shore and have about 10 cities under us. At night it is like a carpet of lights. I will post you some pics one day.

I have Been to PR.. Great Place.. I love it.. and I also love to dirve there.. Its a free for all. if there is a Gap fill it. I have extended family that live in the hills. The town I am forgetting at the moment.. They Breeds, trains and shows Palomino Horses.

Went to go scuba diving over there but waters were rough due to a storm.

Love those Kokee frogs

Joe

Oyagoi
    i am listening to the coquis now (your spelling is funny)

diving is very popular here, have lots of friends who do it, one guy I know had a bad accident a few weeks ago, but is fully recovering now, he was partially paralyzed after getting the bends saving a drowning novice diver,

have another friend who likes to hunt the morey eels (very nasty and dangerous when attacked or cornered with lots of big teeth), he has skeletons of ones he has killed on his mantle
    lots of horses here, it's a big thing, shows every weekend, I have to dodge the horses on the way up the mountain on weekends----what did you mean by the el conquistador? a place or a business group?

Yeah I aint hip on spelling so Akinosan says.. I spell it how it sounds.. LOL My wife has stayed at El conquistodor and so have other members of family.. I stayed in town where i can drink and drive backwards on the roads.. I gotta go back soon..

Like I said I love it there..

what is that Plantain dish I am getting hundry for starts with an M

Joe

Oyagoi
    LOL you are talking about the hotel---nice place, an island business, a similar company with different owners owns a grocery chain down here and are famous for passing your credit card repeatedly when you aren't there........I had to go to the press and make stories on them and their processing company to get my money back, that was why i asked about itfor the plantains you got -

tostones (fried with a sauce to dip them in) my wife eats that every day

amarillo -sweet plantains fried and soft, tastes like candied apples, really good

modongo- not much plantain but lots of pig or cow guts, a favorite for the locals I tend to avoid

mofongo- this is one of the best dishes you can buy for any meal, kind of like stuffing with meat (chicken, beef, or shrimp) inside and usually served in a broth, that stuff is REALLY good

relleno- similar to mofongo but fried and with meat or cheese inside, also really good, served dry (no broth)

pinchos- a tasty bbq chicken on a stick

too many good foods to list down here, let me know when you back to visit, I have some friend who are dive instructors who can take you around, and some friends who do surf tours too, I can hook you up with good surf spots if you like surfing or the beach

Oyagoi
    you also have mangoo, which is really dominican, similar to mofongo but softer and gooey

the El Conquistador is in Fajardo, one of the best hotels on the island so I bet you had a nice time, lots of fun stuff nearby there, El Yunque (the rainforest with trails to giant waterfalls), parasailing, jet skis, glass bottom boats, trips to Vieques and Culebra, lots of resorts and restaurants,

nearby in Humacao is a beautiful beach and the nicest resort area on the island, golf courses everywhere there, lots of surf spots near there too, alot of dive instructors work that area and base out of Palmas del Mar because of the great underwater sea life there and corals, let me know when you come back

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12
    you also have mangoo, which is really dominican, similar to mofongo but softer and gooey

the El Conquistador is in Fajardo, one of the best hotels on the island so I bet you had a nice time, lots of fun stuff nearby there, El Yunque (the rainforest with trails to giant waterfalls), parasailing, jet skis, glass bottom boats, trips to Vieques and Culebra, lots of resorts and restaurants,

nearby in Humacao is a beautiful beach and the nicest resort area on the island, golf courses everywhere there, lots of surf spots near there too, alot of dive instructors work that area and base out of Palmas del Mar because of the great underwater sea life there and corals, let me know when you come back

AHhhhh!! Mofungo. that was it.. I actually cooked it once I like it so much. been to El Yunque and hike during a tropical rainstorm with many river crossing.. Not a good Idea.. LOL and saw the parrots as well. Been to Culebra.. Golf I stayed away from.. Enough euipment on 1 trip with dive gear.

Thanks for the invite... I will be back soon.....

Joe

I would have to rate my sucess this year in the pond at 100%, for not loosing a single fish to ilness is a first after 7 years of the ponds life. It is also the first year I did not use a widely used liquid bacteria culture, hmmmm I think I will never use that brand again, I will stick with the higher end stuff that is realy made for the koi enthusiast. Got good growth and just yesterday got a glimpse of a few in pond spawned fish, about 3 inches ong and hard to tell for pattern but welcomed as interest added for now.
    " I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy "

Mmmmm, say 50/50 success.

Late April, total pond failure - complete blowout of filtration system and massive health problems. Made a few shotgun improvements, but my DIY filtration system is more like DIW - Done It Wrong.

Because of April troubles, have changed my upkeep habits: change water religiously, no overfeeding, clean settlement tank (by hand - ack!) more often, not too badly overstocked, keep use of chemical and meds to a bare minimum, etc.

Have to say that growth has been good this summer for the first time - some have grown 4-5 inches so far-and skin quality has improved. Feeding higher quality food as well. No health issues since April.

Intend to build a setup in the basement to overwinter the fish and allow me to make some filtration changes to the pond in spring. Large scale remodel of pond is doubtful at current house. Mike said for sales purposes we can pass our little pond off as a water feature as-is, but becomes an 8-foot toddler death trap if we did it up the way I would like it. So, will do it right "the first time" when we move. Until then, that is one high-maintenance puddle out there!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast