Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How would you rate the success of you pond this year

koiczar: That is exactly why i'm never adding koi from an outside source ever again. Im not risking bringing something else into my pond. I wish I had not bought koi from Japan last year, I would be a happier camper right now.

Is it possible to irriadicate these strains of Aeromonas once you have them (without giving away your koi and bleaching everything), or are you pretty much stuck with them for the life of your pond?

wow Greg, that is pretty extreme, but then it can get frustrating, as we all know, unfortunately. I am sorry to hear that. I assume you quarantined?

We had an up and down year.. Some good results at shows, but did have some in quarantine problems on new arrivals with flukes that were very resistant to treatment. If that is a sentence. Not much growth due to having all our koi in the 2400 gallon q pond. Lost one former GC to who knows what. No parasites, just a failure to thrive since she was shown in her one show 3 years ago. Finally I put her down this summer.

The q pond turned out just like I envisioned, but the big pond completion is a long story. next year will be better
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Better safe than sorry. Just as I learned my lesson about not overwintering outside in Iowa winters. I breed my own koi, so I can add new specimines, just not quality ones. Id rather have ugly koi, than sick ones.

Mark Bodycott QT them for 6 weeks (I received them in January 05), I QT'd them until April. Found Costia and Gill Flukes on them in QT, treated with Proform C and Supaverm. I have a microscope and know how to use it. Paracites I can deal with, its just a matter of treating with the right medicine at a dosage that works. Gotta know those paracites. I couldnt have the easy fluke to kill, oh no, I had to have the egg layers.

How do you QT for Aeremonas? If the koi have it, can it be eliminated? If not, do you really want to add that bacteria to your pond. Ive had my pond for 10 years now. Ive never experienced problems like I have this year. My filtration is better than it ever was, and my fish load is smaller than it ever has been.

All things considered equal, the simplest soulution has to be the right one...

Oyagoi
    greg, if you pm me I will tell you what I would do in your shoes.

Honmei

Good ways and bad wasys to QT

Aeromonous exists in every pond. Its the concentration and strain that gets ya. Always QT your Koi after you get them regardless if the dealer does or not. Why? Because bacteria strains in your pond is almost assuredly different than thos that new arrivals have been exposed to and vice versa. Using a couple of exisiting Koi in the QT with new Koi allows you to have a controlled cross contamination. More new arrivals typically die from strains in hobbyest ponds than hobbyest Koi dying from what is brought in...that and inexperience in diagnosing and treating once problems are seen....hard to see in most "ponds" but eaqsily seen in QT.

My year? Another "move" and lost a Koi being kept by a friend during our move (shite happens), My biggest girl dinged her head while another friend was watching her (shite happens) and I finally got resettled and my Koi all consolidated back at our new home including my son's Shintaro Sanke (present from Saito San), my Shintaro Sanke (original died from earthquake and against my wishes, Saito San replaced it), My Yagenji Kohaku, Sakai (Isawa) Showa, a Chagoi and a Kin Showa. I guess its funny I did NOT have any problems with all of these Koi from different places, mostly Japan.

Steve

Steve do you have any pictures of the koi. I know you got almost all new ones since I seen you last. I would love to see the new kids.

It seemed like 2005 was not my year for the pond. It seem like it was one thing after another. I'm hoping 2006 will being better things to the pond. Maybe even a nice sanke.

Tom

Hi Guys

Schildkoi is absolutely correct!! Aeromonas is present in EVERY POND!!! To what extent - that is the question - Fish are tolerant of aeromonas unless you develop a parasitic outbreak. The bacterial infection is usually secondary to this. Flukes have hooks (called haptens) which bite into the skin or gill lamelae of the fish. Guess what bacteria like to live on those hooks?? You guessed it - Aeromonas. When the fluke bites, the aeromonas is immediately injected into the wound - kinda like injecting an antibiotic, right??

From what I have been able to ascertain from reliable sources, there are two strains of aeromonas this year that are causing a lot of pandimonium. Aeromonas hydrophila and aeromonas veronii. The first is always present. The latter is supposedly a latent strain that usually doesn't bother anything. HOWEVER, this year the hydrophylla strain has decided that there's safety in numbers - so it teamed up with the veronii and they're wreaking havoc on the gills, skin, internal organs, and no the fish don't have to become septic for the organs to be attacked.

The short of it is that I'm certainly glad 2005 is almost over - Looking forward to 10 days in Japan next month. Hope the fish health is better this year than last!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234