Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: winterizing pool skimmer

Nisai

winterizing pool skimmer

I purchased a waterway pool skimmer for my pond that is in process right now. I'm thinking of switching to a different skimmer (Savio). My thinking is that the savio will be more rugged over the winter freeze. I'm not planning on running the skimmer over the winter so i'm concern about it cracking. Does any one have any experience with this? If i use the pool skimmer what is the best way to shut it down over the winter?

My filter system is a Nexus on one bottom drain and Nitritech 911 on the other. Will these filter system still work if i lower the water level 3" to 4".

Where is the desire water level on a pool skimmer?

Is their interest in seeing my pond built? About 7,000 gallon liner pond with concrete block structure.

Thanks

Always interested in seeing pond designs, Redhot. ...& your question about skimmers in winter is one I hope someone will address. (Not a problem for me in Florida, but sure to be an issue for many of the lurkers on this board.)

Nisai
    Mike

I'm really thinking hard about ditching the pool skimmer and getting a savio. I believe the savio will have a less likely chance of cracking during a winter freeze. Do you have the big Savio or the compact on your pond. Are you using the filter mat in you skimmer or just the basket?

Thanks
    Andy

I will start a new thread on my pond build on Monday. The pictures is on my work computer.

Redhot: I have the larger skimmer & use the 16" faceplate so no issues with the volume being moved through. I use the mat. One feeds a bead filter and one feeds a Bakki. The mat captures a lot of the algae glarf that would otherwise clog the beads or get trapped in the BH media where it would slowly rot. Cleaning the mat is a pain, but only because the mat is so effective as a mechanical filter. .... Good luck prepping for winter. I can tell it is coming. My pond water temp was down to 79F at 7am this morning. ...The koi certainly did not mind the "chill".