Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: My Backyard Ponds...

My Backyard Ponds...

Below are some photos of my three backyard ponds. Additional photos and specs are available at http://www.josephandgabby.com/pond. If you stop by to visit, be sure to sign my guestbook! - Joseph

Nice ponds and website. Welcome to Koi-Bito!
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jim;

Thanks for the reply. I visited your site as well. I see you purchased some of your kohakus from Mystic Koi in Upland, CA. I've actually been there several times. I've never bought any koi there yet, however. It's located very close to my in-laws, who also live in Upland. I'm thinking about buying some fish from there next year. Can I ask how much did you pay for your kohakus and what size they are? Just curious...

Joseph
    http://www.josephandgabby.com/pond

Nice pond(s) you guys got I wish I could build that many ponds in my house...Welcome to the board again, we hope you keep posting and we'll help try to answer any questions you may have.

Hmm well I don't usually talk about how much I pay for koi but I can tell you I'm very happy with the Kohakus and the other koi I have bought from Bill at Mystic. I wish I was better at keeping records so I could tell you just how much they have grown since I got them. The 3 step has probably doubled in size in less then a year. They were Shintaro jumbo tosai when I got them so they started out large for tosai. Of course pricing on koi is tricky as koi of certain quality or from certain breeder cost generally quite a bit more then domestics of the same variety. The best time to buy from most koi shops that import directly from Japan would be in fall and spring. I'd suggest making contact with them on a regular basis to find out when the shipments are arriving so you can get a good pick. The really good ones go fast!
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jim;

I don't really like to talk about how much I pay for my koi either so I understand your opinion. I was just curious because so far I've purchased most of my favorite koi from a nearby pond owner and a local koi farm. I was just curious whether or not there was a significant price difference. I'm pretty sure that I'm done buying anymore koi until next year, but I will definitely look into buying some from Mystic then. Be sure to sign my guestbook (and plug your site!).

Thanks again!

Joseph

You know I don't really know what kind of price difference there is based on quality vs quality. Most domestics that I have seen and bought are alot cheaper then Japanese imports. From experience I can tell you that most domestics don't even come close to the quality that you get from Japan. My oldest koi is a 6 year old domestic that is only 15". I love that koi to death because she and I have been through alot but you get what you pay for. There are some very nice domestics being produced now but I can't really speak to that as I don't have any of those yet. Perhaps somebody else will chime in with their thoughts on it that have more experience with the higher quality domestics.
    Koi-Unit
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Granted I'm not an expert, but I really don't see a huge difference between most of the imports and domestic koi of high quality. Most of the breeders at the koi farm I visited recently were shipped directly from Japan and the fry grew up in huge mudponds. I do see a difference, however, between the quality of koi I can find at a koi farm as apposed to koi available at most pet stores. In that sense, I guess you're right by saying you get what you pay for. I'm planning to add some more koi to my pond next spring, and maybe I'll pick up a few from Mystic to see how they grow. I do know they seemed a bit expensive to me when I built my first pond, but I've learned a lot since then (and paid a lot for the fish I have now) so I'm pretty sure the prices will seem a lot more reasonable to me now. Thanks again!

Joseph

Tategoi
    Welcome aboard J&G

When u get a second, go to your user cp area and fill in your profile. Its nice to know were folks hail from and the like. I can tell by looking at your ponds that u really enjoy them!
    BTW the koi in front of the tiki hut Slay me!

Keifer;

I went ahead and completed my public profile. Thanks!

Joseph