Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ulcer Problem

Nisai
    Dr. Saint-Erne's book is excellent, but it was geared to aquatic vets and advanced hobbyists. That doesn't mean that you won't be able to learn a LOT about treatment. However, Duncan Griffiths (a KHA instructor) has recently released his book (Advanced Koi Diagnosis and Treatments), which has many step-by-step photographs and greatly detailed information to help even a beginning koi keeper. Perhaps a book like that would be better for you? Besides, he has that fantastic, dry Brit humor to help you along. I know the book can be had directly from his website ( http://www.koiquest.co.uk/ ), and several of the U.S. koi drygoods sites are also beginning to carry the book. The only thing I would have against the book is that he frequently recommends things that cannot be "had" on this side of the Big Pond, but the Kusuri products cover most of his recommendations. He gives all doses in both UK and US gallons, so there's no chance of mistake.

If you're looking to start a library on diagnosis and treatment, this book is a good place to start. There are many other very good books that you can add to your library as time and money allows, but this one is simple, to the point, and complete.

Good luck with your knee surgery!

Lee

Judy-

Where in Georgia do you live? The Atlanta Koi Club can put some feelers out and find someone near you that can help. If you were within 3 hours of me I'd help you.

One hours drive south of Atlanta.

Well the surgery went well and I am at home and in my favorite spot and forum.

The clove oil worked very good and was out in less than 2 mins, I did not have him completly under and he flopped a little but not enough to stop me. I wanted to take pics of this and had my camara in my pocket ready to take shots but I was scared to take any because he had so many spots that had to be treated so I worked fast and got him in recovery. I must say I could not believe that the powder would stay on the koi but it does and looks like I will have to remove it when I do second treatment.

I will say this on a good note about salt, Two days ago when I drained and cleaned my pond the ulcers were very red, I poured salt straight to the ulcers and the koi went crazy, but today when I put the meds on this koi the red was all but gone. I am convinced that I started the healing process with the salt, and at the same time rid him of the parasites. Has anyone ever done this before? When I saw this it was my first thought " SALT" it heals Some of the ulcers that I missed still were somewhat red.

Thanks,
    Judy

Got a few pic of the treatment, I did not kill the koi. The first koi is doing a lot better and most places are almost well, found a couple more places that I did not see on the koi at first, fixed him and kujaku up today. The little boy in the pics came over today, he is 8 to ask for a Doctors App. that his koi needed operated on. He is a mess. He helped me get one of my koi out of the pond so I could work on her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ulcer Problem-dscf0129.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0130.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0131.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0132.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0133.jpg  

Ulcer Problem-dscf0134.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0135.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0136.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0137.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0138.jpg  

Ulcer Problem-dscf0139.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0140.jpg   Ulcer Problem-dscf0141.jpg  

I did notice what I thought was a anchor worm on the kujaku, I just put the meds on her and seal her up. I hope that was ok.

Going to take rest of koi out of pond in the morning and check on them, Should I give them a good salt bath before I work on them. I cant believe I am having this problem to start with. I put salt in the pond a couple of days ago to help kill parasites.

Judy

little boy heaven

Judy,
    The picture of your neighbor boy standing waist-deep in the pond, a look of complete concentration as he tries to net a koi is hilarious. That boy is in little kid heaven, living in the moment. Good luck trying to keep him out of your pond from now on.....bet he will be coming around more and more often, hoping you'll be doing more fish operations and need his help.

Looks like you've had quite a day.

Jen

He is a very good kid, never does anything unless he ask his mom. Also a very smart little boy to only be 8 years old. I thought it was so funny when he came to my door and ask if he could make a app. for his koi. He has a really good head on his shoulders and when I wrote down the instruction on how to put the koi to sleep and what to use, he took it home to his mom and handed it to her and said here is the Dr.'s bill, his mom said what? He has a good sence of humor for a 8 year old. Then he told her what it was.

Yep your right, he was very serious about catching that koi, he loves to help no mater what it is. I remember one day I was giving my koi a salt bath and he was here watching, he went home and told his mother all about what was going on. His mother calls him Denis the menace because he likes to come over so much and help with things. I really like the little fellow.

I had a little girl in my old neighborhood who was like that as well. She would come over and hang around while I worked in my flowerbeds in the front and side yards, helping with weeding and chatting. Then she started recruiting some other neighborhood kids to come over as well to "help"....and drink soda pops, and eat all my snack food, and overfeed the fish, and walk the dog....I think I became the entire neighborhood's free babysitter!

My husband would give me a hard time about how all my little friends were always at the door wanting to know if I could come outside and "play." I told him not to mess with me, or I'd sick my posse of 9-year olds on him. I moved away a few years ago, but she still calls me on the phone about once a month to say "hi" and chat about school and such.

I bet working with you and your koi will be something he remembers his entire life. Shoot, if I'd had a friendly neighbor with koi when I was a kid, I would have been the same way.

He is the only young kid around, but they do have boy scout meeting twice a week next door. This is the only place his parent will let him come on this street, they are very strick with him, I have tried putting him up to things that I should not and he wont do them, to smart. Has never comes in the yard and ask to feed the fish, not yet anyways, he has a pond in his front yard also. He did not have any fish and the first koi in the pic I gave to him, he has been taking care of it and is getting it well. Im proud of him. That is why he came and ask for a Dr.s app. so I could make sure the koi was ok. He is so funny really he will tickel you to death listening to him. So eager to learn.

Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12