Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Looking for Prefabricated Pond

Looking for Prefabricated Pond

Can anyone recommend a self contained prefabricated pond or fish keeping box that can be used as my temporary pond and then a Q-tank when I go home. Looking for something that is approximately 4'-5' wide by 10'-12' long and 3' deep. Is there such an animal out there. Was thinking of building temp. wood frame with liner, but if there is an easier way...I'm willing to pay $$$.

Brian,
    Do you know of something readily available in Japan?

I know I wasn't planning to start this way, but I might as well start my water keeping skills with small & cheap baby koi while I'm here. With free utilities and materials to build pond...how can I not give it a whirl...Thanks. I will surely have fun getting rid of all my test subjects in all the empty base ponds. It will be a base pond beautification project. Hope the MP's don't mind.

W Limm, makes a preformed liner pond, it is very close to the measurments you want. it also has a bottom drain, skimmer, and 2 jets. Check out his website for more info. It is a great size for QT and or small fish. It is 1500 gallons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San
    Can anyone recommend a self contained prefabricated pond or fish keeping box that can be used as my temporary pond and then a Q-tank when I go home. Looking for something that is approximately 4'-5' wide by 10'-12' long and 3' deep. Is there such an animal out there. Was thinking of building temp. wood frame with liner, but if there is an easier way...I'm willing to pay $$$.

Brian,

I know I wasn't planning to start this way, but I might as well start my water keeping skills with small & cheap baby koi while I'm here. With free utilities and materials to build pond...how can I not give it a whirl...Thanks. I will surely have fun getting rid of all my test subjects in all the empty base ponds. It will be a base pond beautification project. Hope the MP's don't mind.

Tategoi
    Carl:

If you have empty ponds on base why don't you volunteer to adopt them then you can fill them with koi, I'm sure the PWC would live to have someone share their work... I did something similar at the train station at our town in Japan except I planted water lilies as I wasn't into koi at the time...

Barring that, I'd go with the wood frame and liner route unless you can find something there in japan, maybe a cattle water tank...

Aloha! Mike

Daihonmei
    Bubba, check Tractor Supply Co.

or online for liquird containers....they make em for a multitude of use (therefore sizes)....then again the makers of show tanks (Pearls?) does different sizes.

Jumbo
    akinosan, you will be ripped off buying one made specificly for the hobby called koi. You will be much better off buying a tub for farm animal. I have seen one close to what you are looking for in a 'seed' and feed' place for a couple of hundred bucks, instead of more than $1000.

stan

With something of this size and depth, how cold does it have to get to freeze over? Thinking about winter in Japan, I hear it gets very cold hear. Cold enough to snow in fact. If I have one of these babies outside, how does one keep from freezing over. What about the filter(s)?

Daihonmei
    it ain't that it "freezes over as much as the wicked temperature swings and the ice might even form on the sides and bottom first.....
    these containers are unsafe for koi in a low temperature environment...

... unless you invest in a cover and stock tank heater.

-steve

Quote Originally Posted by Akai-San

Brian,

Carl,

Yes, they're readily available here. what size are you looking for?
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum