Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Recommended water test kits

Recommended water test kits

Interested in recommendation for a reliable and complete water test kit for hobbiest use. Thanks.

LaMotte brand test kits are generally well regarded.

Hi Carl,

Hach is a close second. Both Lamotte and Hach have combination kits for most of the commonly needed parameters all in the same box. Both have web sites.

-steve

Nisai
    I use a hanna meter at work and home but the best normal kit I have used is the kusuri ones.

rick

Tategoi
    Must be ESP, was just going to post a thread looking for you...Noticed that since your wife arrived in late August or early September you've been off the board...

So tell us, I'm sure Bekko and others would like to know, what water are you going to test since you don't even have a pond yet and it'll be at least 5 years before you build one... Are you going to test your drinking water

As you can tell we miss seeing your posts... Steve, do you beleive this guy!!!!

Aloha! Mike

Ha! I've used LaMonte forever but now I can't find the refill chemicals for PH (high range), amonia. Where do you get it?

Mark

Akai your in Japan right? I guess it depends what you can get your hands on..

Joe

Mind Reader

Hahaha...very funny MikeT. You're on to me....ESP and everything of the sort. I am indeed serious of having a little something in our backyard to keep me busy the next five years. Going through the last issue of Koi-bito (for the third time), that sudden urge hit me. Why can't I start developing my water keeping skills right now! I have a backyard and decent space to position a legitimate training pond (5'x12') with plenty of room for landscaping (bonsai) and space to bbq outside. I was first planning to approach MWR concerning the base ponds, but the manageable ponds are far too shallow (12" deep), and the largest pond is "perfect" but looks like way too much work. Its even only a 5 minute walk or 1 minute drive away from our place.

I don't see any fish in there now, but I hear they use the pond once a year for thier trout derby...that can't be good. Maybe I can offer MWR something better than a trout derby for the use of their pond. Any ideas!!!

At least with my home pond, I will get to learn first hand about the trials and tribulations of seasonal weather, water quality, and even growth rates as it relates to the seasons. Not really looking for "THE" fish yet, but what better practice then now. I figure work with cheap koi and just get some "OJT". It will definitely keep me more active on this board (thats a great thing) and I won't feel bad releasing my test subjects into the big pond to live out the rest of their lives.

For anyone out there with mudpond size experience...How much effort to maintain large volumes of water? I'm looking at 50 ft wide be 200 ft long and depth at ??? 3-4ft max. (I'm guessing). Not sure what the water make-up is on base, but public works says that the water on base is better then off base in Japan. I still have to test water quality. I'll get some pics this weekend of the pond in question. I see the pond as a great accessible growout pond, but how do you start cleaning and ridding existing water impurities in a pond of this size....without draining it dry.

Carl,

Here are the first things I would look for and do:

Look at the topography and determine the origin of run-off flowing into the pond. If its a natural vegetated area, then your OK. If its roof-tops and pavement, you need to be a little concerned about nutrients and hydrocarbons. If its in the middle of a nerve gas recycling facility, there could be other considerations.

If it's not a catchment pond, what is the water source. The pond water level could be the ground water table level. It could be spring-fed. It could go dry at certain times of year.

Take a swim in the pond before the water gets cold. See how deep it is. See if the bottom is a thick layer of rotting vegetation or soil. See how many old tires and refrigerators are down there.

Ask around the community and spend some time sitting quietly by the pond to determine whether there are any large predatory fish, tiny forage fish, crocodiles, bull frogs, herons, etc. Maybe this one should come before the swimming part.

Measure the pH, alkalinity, dissolved oxygen (at dawn) and TDS. The results may indicate some larger problem.

Let us know what the vegetation is like. Is it choke water weed, emergent vegetation, no vegetation?

Send photos.

-steve