Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by keokoi Dale, Nice setup very clean and well put together. No doubt you get hours of enjoyment out of your pond and it shows.. I can see it now
    "[i
    Dale kicken it KY Style" [/i]Glad the pond tour was a success.

Question what kinda rock is that you used for the wall of the fall? and is it dry stacked.?

I think that filter house is as big as my house. Got my head spinning now how I can do such a thing.. LOL

Joe
    Joe,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, we do get hours of enjoyment out of the pond and the pump house, too!

In answer to your question, all the rock is limestone and, yes, it is dry stacked or dry laid as some call it. Limestone is primarily what you find in central Kentucky. One end of the lower pond is surrounded by sandstone, which I brought from my home county up in the mountains of eastern Kentucky. I wanted to have something from where I grew up in the stonework, so that is why you see the large, flat brown rock in one of Jen's pictures of the lower pond looking up at the upper pond.

I left my camera home when we went around on the pond tour. Jen took hers and has promised to post some back here. Maybe when she gets through grading papers this evening she will do just that!

Dale

sorry, been busy....here's a few more pics

Ok, have a little time this morning....here are a few more pictures of some other ponds on the tour. This is Randy & Janice Fisher's 15,000 gallon pond. He also had a few show tubs of small koi from Brady B. under the awning that don't show in the photos.

Randy may be Akinosan's kindred spirit in the midwest - he easily has over 100 koi plus around 20 golden orfe in his pond, and will take in koi from other folks and give them a home.

Dale pointed out a hi utsuri that had been AKCA fish of the year and brought out the KoiUSA issue showing it on the cover. I didn't get any decent shots of that particular fish.....but it's in there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-15000-pond.jpg   Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-randy-pond-2.jpg   Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-cover-koi.jpg  

We also visited Xavier Donnelly's koi pond. He has several nice fish that came from Dale, Brady and some other folks. Xavier has done a great job of creating an excellent filtration system without using "ready-made" items. He even had a do-it-yourself version of an EZ! Xavier is a young guy ("young" meaning younger than me!) that is following the route of a serious hobbyist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-xavier2.jpg   Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-xavier-filter.jpg   Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-xav-falls.jpg   Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-xavier-pond.jpg  

This is NOT a koi pond....I repeat, this is not....

Just so no one bothers to point it out: This is NOT a koi pond! However, just had to share a shot or two of this immaculately landscaped yard. Thought it could inspire people with a small and/or severely sloped yard. If there was a koi pond at the bottom - it would be awesome! Love the rock work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-bruce-1.jpg   Louisville Koi Club - Lexington, KY Pond Tour-bruce-2.jpg  

Sansai
    Hi Dale,

Very nice pond and great kois. I like the natural rock work that rims the pond. Do you have any kois injuring themselves on the rocks? Pond tours. I already had a member complaining that our club hasnt been organising tours this year. Better do a few B$ be get our butts kicked.

Fellas congratulations on a successful tour and thanks for the great pics.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345