Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bakki Shower Info?

He was doing a mass spawn so he had Barry White goin on as music and dimmed the lights.. Notice all the foam..

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    Here's Tony's Bakki setup on his QT pond...
    I loved your setup I had to copy yours...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki Shower Info?-bakki-shower73.jpg  

This is all I could afford I am only 12.... and Dunkel handed me these crates for free.

How large of a Bakki Showers would it take to make a difference on a pond like mine? The pond is 9,000 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C
    Nice job Jim, how big is the pond?

Tom
    Its about 5500 US gallons. I did the math the other night and my setup holds about 1.5x as much media as the standard Momotaro 4 tray setup. So if based on the 2000 gallon per 4 tray setup mine should be able to handle 3000 gallons maybe? I also have a bead filter in my system so its not like my Bakki is the only means of filtration. After a 30 day test of it I did indeed see a drop in nitrates and the koi do seem alot hungrier. So I'm calling my shower a success but the pond itself has a looooonnnnngggggg way to go.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Jim, any chance of getting more pictures of yours?

Honmei
    Mike and Dick,

The reason I asked for dimensions is that I am planning to build my own and use a different media. The media I have costs $300 for 50 kilos as oppossed to $1500 for 50 kilos of the Bakki media. I do not know how well it will work, but it is worth a try. I will let you know as time progresses. If it works as well it would be a wonderful surprise.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters
    Mike and Dick,

The reason I asked for dimensions is that I am planning to build my own and use a different media. The media I have costs $300 for 50 kilos as oppossed to $1500 for 50 kilos of the Bakki media. I do not know how well it will work, but it is worth a try. I will let you know as time progresses. If it works as well it would be a wonderful surprise.

Russ
    Russ, the bacteria house is far more cheaper than the $1500 dollars, it's is here locally for $170 per 10kg...I think any shower system will work regardless of Shower type or media...Whatever is cheaper is cheaper.

What people are in tune to is the mystery of the bacteria house media, scientifically people dont know it works, but it works. But a shower system of some sort will work fine if one is to want their ORP high.

Honmei
    My mistake,

I was pricing the media off of an English website. Everything seems to be more expensive there. So it would be $300.00 as opposed to $850.00, which is still a nice savings, especially if this works as well.
    Is it really a mystery about how the media works? It seems to me that any media with extremely high surface area in a highly oxygenated system like the Bakki shower would reduce huge quantities of waste. There is more surface area and more oxygen.
    The Bakki media is not a new idea, years ago I ran across a product called Siporax. This media has a surface area of 82,000 square feet per cubic foot. I do not know what it is made of, but it looks very similar to the Bakki media. The problem with the media, besides being very expensive, is that it looses efficiency when the pores get clogged. In a traditional gravity flow system this media would probably be the same as anything else. In a Bakki shower it would probably perform really well. Since this media is more expensive than the Bakki media, I am still searching, and may have found something.

Tategoi
    Russell:

SMG already did this research and found that milk crates filled with lava worked just as well as crates filled with the Bacteria House Media (Bakki shower Media)...

If you go into the KB archives you can probably find the thread there...

Here's how I look at it, if you can afford the BacHouse go for it...If you can't, go with the lava and change it out every few years or so... I was looking for the long term benefit of never having to clean it so went with the Bac House... Another consideration was that I only needed 5 kilos for two ponds...

Aloha! Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast