Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi Raising Philosophy

Koi Raising Philosophy

I have been very impressed by the interview of Mr. Yamada in K-B issue #9. There are several points he shares, but one in particular stands out:

"And I want to be able to determine what fish fit my pond. The water is different, and the way the sun beats down is different. Those things make a difference. It is the best way not to change the way you raise based on the koi you raise, but to find the koi that fit your style."

So much to learn about a fish or bloodline or variety, and to learn about one's water and environment, to be able to follow that philosophy.

....sometimes I'm just happy that they are healthy and active. Perhaps they deserve a higher goal.

Daihonmei
    Yeah Mike...that goes hand in hand with the collosal(sp) statement someone els queried here awhile back dealing with, " can koi fry culled from a bloodline established in one climate/region but bred and raised in another reason be successfully culled to be better adult koi in the new region?"

i loved that thought.

Now that I see a bigger picture, I fall into the quarters syndrome.
    1/4 Hi-bred, great bloodline over achievers
    1/4 Great Breeders, med achievers
    1/4 Good Breeders, average development
    1/4 original pond grade raffle ticket ko
    Next phase will be first quarter only. Matsunosuke, Momotaro and Ogata koi do well in our water. Going to try any how.

Hosokai is noted now for all color varieties. his first that gained him national recognition was his asagi's. His water is clay based and not good for raising asagi's. When asked why he chose to do so he said that he wanted to rise to the challenge.

I think what he was saying was that he enjoyed the challenge....and he's been quite sucessful at it. So the question is, can we as water keepers also rise to the challenge, with knowledge and ambition....

So, if your philosophy is having excellent koi, how is that achieved? For example, how may of us use medications in the spring and fall for parasites if there are no known parasites? How about food: does it matter? Wow, so many questions. I'' respond later, but the issue of treatments is a big one to me.

Mark

Tategoi
    Treatments aren't the question here. Start a new thread if you want to see the varied opinions on the treatment topic.

I think adapting your koi purchases to the breeders and types of fish that do well in your pond is much easier than adapting your pond.

For instance -- so far ogons don't do well in my water but gosanke and asagi do. Go figure.

Tategoi
    Buy good koi, not necessarily Tategoi GC candidates...

Keep um alive by providing the best environment for them, not necessarily throwing money away, but doing the best with what you can afford...

In our case, a bead filter hooked up to a TT and Bak Shower provides Clear, clean, pest free environment for about $2,500 per pond...

Aloha! Mike