Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not feeding your koi during winter.....

Not feeding your koi during winter.....

How many of you not feed your koi during winter? I some of us have the itchy finger and have to feed.
    I think it is the thought or theory of bringing the confromation during winter then bringing it up again during summer feeding.

I think because of the mild winters here in California, it is possible to feed most of the year. As long as water temps stay around 50 degrees, I'll keep feeding. It's all a part of my therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    I think because of the mild winters here in California, it is possible to feed most of the year. As long as water temps stay around 50 degrees, I'll keep feeding. It's all a part of my therapy!
    You need that therapy, then again when are goin to put up the hammock so I can kick it while watching the fish....

We take a 6-8 week fasting period "off", otherwise feed all winter in the "seasonal" method....

Sansai
    The winters are cold enough here in Kentucky that the water temperature drops below 50 by about early/mid December. I slow feeding to once per day when it drops into the 50's and start skipping days of feeding when it gets to 55 on down to 50 degrees F. I don't feed from the time the temp hits the upper 40's until very late March or early April when the water warms to above 50 degrees F. When I start feeding again in spring it is gradual. The reverse of what is described above as the water temperature climbs through the 50's toward 60 degrees.

Dale

fasting is a good thing

In winter I pretty much stop for almost 3 months when the water drops below 50 deg. when hovering around low 50's I feed 1 per week. Funny thing is the koi are still superactive. During the winter they lose no confirmation but lose that thin layer of fat which makes the colors come out even more.

No feeding for me. Good for my pocket book too! and less cleaning..

Question is for those who have 4 seasons is. What happens when you do feed. Side effects to your koi?

Joe

Toshio sakai taught me to winter my sexually mature girls in the low 50's and feed occassionally every coupla days with wheatgerm/ cooked barley. If you run higher temps and feed more often they will take the food and produce eggs with it rather than re-absorping possibly causing grief later on down the road.

for those with unheated ponds dale's advice is sound to follow.

I used to run 52-53 F but my grandmother koi that I've had close to 30 years
    (she was 7 when i got her) acts stressed at anything under 55 F so that's where they sit all winter. I keep them there nov thru mar before inching the temps slowly up and go to daily feeding of wheatgerm.

I do believe there is value in allowing them to experience winter as long as it is controlled. Prior to having heat and an outside pond only, if i could get them thru winter with no dips under 41 F they came thru fine. Anything lower and i had issues to deal with coming out in the spring ( hence the inside heated pond)

In winter I pretty much stop for almost 3 months when the water drops below 50 deg. when hovering around low 50's I feed 1 per week. Funny thing is the koi are still superactive. During the winter they lose no confirmation but lose that thin layer of fat which makes the colors come out even more.

No feeding for me. Good for my pocket book too! and less cleaning..

Question is for those who have 4 seasons is. What happens when you do feed. Side effects to your koi?

Joe

I'm with you Joe. We stop for about three months just to slim them down a little. My wife might give them just a little wheat germ during this time because she thinks they just need food.

Tom

Heated ponds in winter

There are othe benefits in dopping the water temperature in heated pond for winter: microfauna and heterotroph bacteria populations will be much reduced when spring comes back (or you raise the water temperature after the artificial 6-8 weeks low without feed).

Last winter, following JR's recommendations for "seasonal fish", I did just that. What a difference in water quality and fish health in the spring. Not a single problem and water stayed crystal clear at all times.

The previous year I maintained 65F all through winter for added growth and had to battle with problems in spring and early summer.

FWIW
    Arthur

Do alot of you still believe in the Dainichi method of winter starvation then bulking the fish up in winter? Does this apply with just Dainichi bloodline koi or can you apply this method with all koi regardless of bloodline?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast