Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Progress of first koi spawn

Progress of first koi spawn

On April 29th, 3 koi I had spawned unplanned and eggs hatched. Besides obvious culling of deformities, I have culled most fry because of coloring. Here are pictures of fry that were culled and sold to pay for food costs.

The pictures are ordered from the first to last culls.
    Ist cull... parents were 2 ogon and a sanke. So I wanted to keep only ogons or lemon hariwake.
    Cull 2: Ogons whose heads became dirty, and some found that should have been culled earlier.
    Cull 3: Fish were beautiful in my eyes, but cannot keep all of them because cold weather is coming...
    Cull 4: Nice variety of koi, but again I will only keep a dozen koi from this spawning.

I have about 12 fry left in total which I will keep and grow out. The majority are yamabuki ogons, 2 orenji ogons, and 4-5 lemon hariwakes. I will update you guys when they grow bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Progress of first koi spawn-cull1.jpg   Progress of first koi spawn-cull2.jpg   Progress of first koi spawn-cull3.jpg   Progress of first koi spawn-cull4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ucpondguy
    On April 29th, 3 koi I had spawned unplanned and eggs hatched. Besides obvious culling of deformities, I have culled most fry because of coloring. Here are pictures of fry that were culled and sold to pay for food costs.

The pictures are ordered from the first to last culls.
    Ist cull... parents were 2 ogon and a sanke. So I wanted to keep only ogons or lemon hariwake.
    Cull 2: Ogons whose heads became dirty, and some found that should have been culled earlier.
    Cull 3: Fish were beautiful in my eyes, but cannot keep all of them because cold weather is coming...
    Cull 4: Nice variety of koi, but again I will only keep a dozen koi from this spawning.

I have about 12 fry left in total which I will keep and grow out. The majority are yamabuki ogons, 2 orenji ogons, and 4-5 lemon hariwakes. I will update you guys when they grow bigger.
    Cool, how much time do you spend on this project of yours? How many total fry did you start off with?

Not bad man.. Pretty good for first spawn..

Sounds like real fun. I'll probably give it a go next spring

Regenmeneer

Eggs were moved to an indoor tank and hatched. I had about 400-500 fry that grew to 1 inch. Then when the weather was warmer, all were moved outside. I probably culled (without selling) 250 of them. Then survival of the fittest kicked in and I sold or practically gave away 100+.

Now 12 will be left as a wait and see project.

The first 3 weeks after hatching were the worst, had to hatch brine shrimp babies for the koi and frequent water changes to the unfiltered tank. With a newborn at the time, it was feed the kid feed the koi around the clock

Yours look very similar to what I got out of my first spawn this year too, but mine was a mass spawning. Mine are mostly Ogons, and a couple Kohaku, and a couple Ki Utsuri's........

Any idea what the koi in the 1st photo turn into as i have some of those in my spawning.

Regards

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipsar
    Any idea what the koi in the 1st photo turn into as i have some of those in my spawning.

Regards

Chris
    If you can believe it, the ones I kept for a while then eventually culled from the first photo were ki bekkos and shiro bekkos. For those koi, the skin turned all white or all yellow while the pattern stayed.