Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artistic group

Artistic group

Hi- Trying to get an idea of how many Artist are out there and did this play a major role to your attraction to koi. There is no real clear precise meaning or definition of Art or artistic talent. It just seems some people have it and some, well enjoy other things. Did you show skills as an Artist early in life and do you consider yourself of having a artistic temperament is the question. Which koi variety is your preference too please. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong
    Hi- Trying to get an idea of how many Artist are out there and did this play a major role to your attraction to koi. There is no real clear precise meaning or definition of Art or artistic talent. It just seems some people have it and some, well enjoy other things. Did you show skills as an Artist early in life and do you consider yourself of having a artistic temperament is the question. Which koi variety is your preference too please. Thanks
    Was a Graphic Artist/Printing person, until I got into telecommunications and have been drawing all my life. I love Kohaku, the factthat it is 2 color, but is so complicated.

Does this design do anything for you? For me, this kinda look is very exciting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Artistic group-562a-gen-koh.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Was a Graphic Artist/Printing person, until I got into telecommunications and have been drawing all my life. I love Kohaku, the factthat it is 2 color, but is so complicated.
    Did you study space lesson planning, exlporing the relationships between positive and negative space? I am finding so far that the artistic type people seem to favor kohaks. My background involves art as well. I just find it most curious that with a pond full of different koi variety, my eye will always scopes out the kohaks first, even though there are other much more gaudy colored fish close by. Interesting fish the kohaku is, I agree.

Nisai
    She'd make my heart go pitty-pat, too

This is not what you all want to hear, but my hubby was a photography major in college, until he figured out that you really can't make a living at it. However, even though he's marginally color blind, he has a good eye for composition. He likes butterflies .

Whereas he can appreciate the power and grace of nishikigoi, the elegance and serenity of butterflies trips his trigger.

However, regarding his choice in the short fins, he prefers the 2 color, sharply deliniated and uncluttered patterns that are found in kohaku and shiro utsuri. If I had a whole pond of excellent kohaku with a couple of shiro utsuri and a single yamabuki for contrast, he'd be in pig heaven.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong
    Did you study space lesson planning, exlporing the relationships between positive and negative space? I am finding so far that the artistic type people seem to favor kohaks. My background involves art as well. I just find it most curious that with a pond full of different koi variety, my eye will always scopes out the kohaks first, even though there are other much more gaudy colored fish close by. Interesting fish the kohaku is, I agree.
    I like Kohak, my pond is 90% Kohak. I like the basic 2 color and if the 2 colors are just perfect in contrast it makes the fish standout from the rest. I am also drawn more into the abstract patterns, and how it could standout on a clean white ground. I to seem to look more for Kohak when I go to someones pond...

I was in to wildlife woodcarving at one point, then did metal sculpture for a while. Now I'm in to garden art. Have no formal training. Kohaku had always been my favorite, but I'm starting to appreciate sanke more now.

Daihonmei
    I can't draw, but I can push mud around...I think of potters as craftsmen...but then there is glazing and firing....which is so much like Koi development but on a fast track because you only have to wait a week to see how the glaze finally come out....
    And I used to tell the students to glaze a pot....glaze it with extreme care, draw the pot, draw where you put the glaze and the color and pattern it will be when it comes out of the kiln.....
    LOL, they would turn them in with such confidence; and then the Kiln would be cracked and they'd have to see how off they were....and they were offf...waaay off....
    The lesson was learned "Glazed pot are like Showa; You really can't dictate what the end product will be.... just appreciate what occurs."

Nisai
    KingKong: Great analogy between artist and koi...I was a commercial photogrtapher for over 25 years and studied art and journalism...there are a few photography concepts that they teach you in Photo 101. One is the rule of thirds...what they mean by that is you shoot the subject in one of the many thirds in your camera viewfinder...makes it more graphically pleasing....to the eye!

If this gets your juices flowing then your on the road. Ben Oki design award winner 2001. Australian pine (Casuarina Equisetifolia)
    Owner: Henky Wahyu
    Three trunk style with imaginary horizon approx. 1/3 up from bottom of picture composition. Things in threes are pleasing to the eyes such as a Sandan Kohak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast