Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi culling and moving accomplished!

Koi culling and moving accomplished!

Well the good news is that I got all of the culling done and my big girls moved inside. the bad news is all my photos were blurred!

My best koi bred this year was a tancho kohaku. Had as usual some very nice shiro utsuri and GR shiros.

Of the 10 baby asagi's 7 were worth raising. One was over run with red and two others indicating next year they would be as well.

I'll be delievering Chris's asagi and Contoniaster bonsai next saturday. We'll have to wait and see her comments.

When i first stuck a net in their pond you'd have thought you were looking at a bowl of popcorn in hot oil! It still makes me chuckle just picturing it all over again. All of these babies were hand selected from photos so it's interesting to see how they turned out.

My big girl, Kimiko developed red in the tail over summer. I was so delighted to see that. Also my other asagi had a smooth gill cover as she came out, so still looking good like she's a girl. They are extremely hard to know for sure till they get 3 years old! Her asagi han is about half in and the base is so incredibly white!

I did find out my dream "girl" at quality koi turned out to be male. I will be flying back to new jersey the end of next month to watch his coming out.
    He was 19 inches when he went in and was showing red on the dorsal, which is half a year too early so i hope it's not a sign of red to come.

I thought my babies would freak out with the big girls inside but they're just doing fine. I just love looking at a pond of asagi's. The blue is so bright!

well enough rambling. Sorry about the pictures gang. Maybe Chris can take a proper pic of hers and get it posted.

Tategoi
    Dick--I am really looking forward to your visit with Joann and seeing the new baby and lovely plant.

Hi Dick,

So now you can tell us who is the breeder for that 10 asagis
    you posted early on;-)))

Anyway, just wondering why you pick Kimiko for your big girl?
    Did you name after Kimiko Hirai Soldati, the tenis player?
    Also, does Kimiko has anything to do with Kumiko (eternal beautiful child)?

Waiting for the pictures.

Thanks,
    --Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Well the good news is that I got all of the culling done and my big girls moved inside. the bad news is all my photos were blurred!

My best koi bred this year was a tancho kohaku. Had as usual some very nice shiro utsuri and GR shiros.

Of the 10 baby asagi's 7 were worth raising. One was over run with red and two others indicating next year they would be as well.

I'll be delievering Chris's asagi and Contoniaster bonsai next saturday. We'll have to wait and see her comments.

When i first stuck a net in their pond you'd have thought you were looking at a bowl of popcorn in hot oil! It still makes me chuckle just picturing it all over again. All of these babies were hand selected from photos so it's interesting to see how they turned out.

My big girl, Kimiko developed red in the tail over summer. I was so delighted to see that. Also my other asagi had a smooth gill cover as she came out, so still looking good like she's a girl. They are extremely hard to know for sure till they get 3 years old! Her asagi han is about half in and the base is so incredibly white!

I did find out my dream "girl" at quality koi turned out to be male. I will be flying back to new jersey the end of next month to watch his coming out.
    He was 19 inches when he went in and was showing red on the dorsal, which is half a year too early so i hope it's not a sign of red to come.

I thought my babies would freak out with the big girls inside but they're just doing fine. I just love looking at a pond of asagi's. The blue is so bright!

well enough rambling. Sorry about the pictures gang. Maybe Chris can take a proper pic of hers and get it posted.

the babies are from hosokai bloodline

the kimiko I named her after was an American Diver who competed in the last Olympics.

Since I have to catch Chris's baby to bag and deliever, I'll try to get a photo
    op there.