Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growout tosai

Sansai

Growout tosai

Told Joe (keokoi) I would post these here a while back. These are part of the "koiphen" growout challenge, Momotaro from Genki Koi here in the US. Born 8/2004 and supplied mostly at 6-9" back in March or April of this year at $150 for a blind selection. In my pond, which is not ideally designed, overstocked/crowded, not enough water changes (Chlormine source that has phosphate levels) I have been doing around 7-8% water changes weekly, and feeding mostly affordable foods (Hai Feng, Azoo, Zeigler, and several others) that I can generally buy for less than $2 per pound. First Koi 7.25" to 17", second one 6.25" to 15.5". Growth has certainly been hurt by ususually high temps this summer, mostly 85-93deg since June, as this fish were like weeds in late april and early june. Starting to get some cooler temps this weeks (cooler as in air temps in the 80s).

Any thoughts on these fish? Beni certainly not finished, but it should be at this point in time, as these are still 13 month olds and developing as I hoped they would.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Growout tosai-go1.jpg   Growout tosai-go1a.jpg   Growout tosai-go2.jpg   Growout tosai-go2a.jpg  

Good growth rates for your growout fish. I also participated with a kohaku at 7.25 inches but it has only grown to 13.5 inches to date. It has been a great learning experience. Can't wait to see what happens to it in the future.

Wow, it seems like yesterday when I first saw the Momo tosai at Genki Koi's booth in Orlando, Fl. that was so graciously put together by Joe and Kevin. Seeing how well you have grown these koi has to make all that hard work worth while. Very nice and congrats to the people that made it possible!

Very nice growth. It seems like you're doing something right.

Tom

Sansai
    Thanks. I'm happy with them so far. I have a homegrown hajaro I wanted to pull up to see it in a blue bowl, born from uncontrolled spawn last June, looks like 20-21" or so but after it jumped, and bounced off some lattice work back into the pond I gave up. I wanted to get those asagi pics for Dick, but they are just to hard to catch. Looks like they (the asagis) have made it up 15-16" based on relative size to these, fairly impressive for there first growing season.

Ryan any chance of getting more info about your pond and filtration?

Tom

Sansai
    Um,

3200gallons, roughly 9x18' 42" depth.
    Filtration- ~220gal vortex that slits off to 2 55gal drums with microstrainers. One pump pump through bead filter to shower filter. Other (also pulls from strainer basket) to Moving bed. Another 1000gph pump trough separate moving bed. Covered in thread http://www.koi-bito.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2151
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Growout tosai-pond1.jpg  

Sansai
    Ryan, she is looking very nice. I hope to bowl mine sometime in the next couple weeks. I do not think I have near the growth that you have, but it will be interesting to get a closer look.

Looking good.

Ryan, can you talk to use a little more about you feeding schedule? We know the kind of food, but that about how much and how often?

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast