Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Bakki Shower talk

Tategoi
    Tom:

Couple of points, if I remember correctly your pond is between 10-12,000 gallons... Based on the recommendation of 20kilos/1000gallons of water you're going to need between 200-240kilo of BacHouse media...

You remember the blue bins I keep talking about...well they're approx. 24" long x 16" wide x 13" high...A stack of 4 holds 20-30 Kilos... So you get an idea of how big you bins have to be for 200-240kilos... Mike M's pond is about 10,000 gallons so he can tell you better what his set up looks like size wise...

IMHO the easiest way for you to install a Bakki Setup would be to place a pan on the edge of of the pond nearest the pump house and build an enclosure around it to match the pump house...You could hide the enclosure from the yard side by planting a line of protocarpus around the enclosure and face the front (the pond side) with some type of bamboo screen... I use the "match stick" bamboo blinds at Hm Depot for many similar applications around the house. A 6x10 screen should cost somewhere between 20-$40... A more maintenance free screen could be made out of Matala Mat like the one we use on our back yard pond...

Just some options...

Aloha! Mike

I'd like to add one as well, isn't anyone making a good stainless steel Momotaro imitation? I've emailed a few stainless steel fabricators, but never got a response...

Tosai
    i have a question how much do these stainless steel bins cost normal?

Sansai
    George, I think you're thinking of poey's setup - one set of pics is at http://www.madaboutkoi.com/dcforum/D...ID14/1293.html

You can certainly get clever with camoflaging a TT/shower - as shown by carloskoi, who built a MASSIVE trickle tower with a weeping waterfall wall in front http://koiphen.com/forums/showthread...3&page=2&pp=10

Since everyone wants to hide these PMS units, I have been wondering about one that worked on an overflow principal. Like say you make a 4' deep pit in the ground, water goes from say a skimmer to the bakki shower. Pump deep in the ground draws from the bottom and pumps it back up. In case of power outage, water from the pond would fill the pit and keep the media wet.

It sure doesnt follow the K.I.S.S. principal, but does it solve the problem of hiding it? The output of the pump could then run pressurized applications, TPRs etc.

Shower

Tom this is my TT , it is 84'' High by 24" by 16" , the last crate holds the water , from there it gets gravity feed back to the pond I have 2 2" pipes going out of the last crate into the pond, I am pumping about 5400 gallons thru it. and the bottom crate almost full to the edge this last crate is 12Hx24Lx16W. a 3" pipe (2 of them should have been a better idea, but so far it works for me.

Jesus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Bakki Shower talk-tower.jpg   More Bakki Shower talk-tower1.jpg   More Bakki Shower talk-tower2.jpg  

Tosai
    so anyone know what these stainless steel units cost? i was asking cause i get stainless at whole sale prices and have a bending brake at work and and tig welder. and was thinking if there is a big demand for them i just might start making them

Oyagoi
    email carl from Keirin fuzz, he can send you the specs on a set, then send him some prices. Lots of folks might buy them, but you might want to work through established channels, its much easier.

Tosai
    hmm, ill call him but i was just going to do it on the side for people who wanted them. im going to price it out see what it will cost me

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by gregbickal
    Since everyone wants to hide these PMS units, I have been wondering about one that worked on an overflow principal. Like say you make a 4' deep pit in the ground, water goes from say a skimmer to the bakki shower. Pump deep in the ground draws from the bottom and pumps it back up. In case of power outage, water from the pond would fill the pit and keep the media wet.

It sure doesnt follow the K.I.S.S. principal, but does it solve the problem of hiding it? The output of the pump could then run pressurized applications, TPRs etc.
    The only way this would work is if your pit pump were on a float switch to turn it on and off. It's very unlikely that you're going to be able to balance the gravity feed input to a spraybar with the draw outward... collection of algae and muck on the pipes (especially the spray holes) is going to make your flow rate constantly vary. Without a float switch you'd be constantly tweaking the valves on the output pump to try to balance flow. Good way to burn up a pump when the input gets a bit of crud stuck in a few of the spray holes.

Plus, one of the biggest benefits of a shower/TT seems to be the degassing nature - burying it in a pit is going to reduce the airflow around the towers and thus reduce their effectivenes. If you look at poey's greenhouse, it's BIG for a reason - there's plenty of room for air to move around those showers.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast