Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: More Bakki Shower talk

Oyagoi
    here is what I am thinking you are trying to say greg- I iwll make a diagram later tonite and post it to see if it matches youe idea, at least itll give a refernce point for discussion, but this type of system is very easy actually, luke's concern is not really a concern if it is done right. The diagram will show why.

A bakki shower, not submerged, beneath ground level in a pit, beside the pond, gravity fed by either a bottom drain or a skimmer, to a weir, drip plate, or spray bar (really irrelevant which is used) over the shower, to a reservoir, to a pumped return, is that what you are thinking greg?

Maybe we can even add a nice decking with a bench and a swinging access with stairs for maintenance.

Easy to do and design, I'll post you diagram later.

Very similar to underground water coolers used to condense refrigerant and other chemicals in many types of applications for government and industrial use. By the way, this is a great idea for folks who live in hotter regions and worry about the high temp and loss of oxygen in the summer time. I will post a diagram tonite.

JG12: You've got it exactly.

Luke: There is no second pump. Its all gravity fed just like a waterfall is (just like my pond). I pump everything uphill and it all comes back to the point of origin (not to be confused with the theory of origin )

Oyagoi
    here is the drawing, let me know what you think, maybe someone has some other good ideas to add to it.....

by the way, this pond is nice the way the landscaping is, I would hate to see that part of it affected negatively by a plastic shower out in the open. Personally, I would hide the shower either in a housing, behind a waterfall, or underground or off behind a big bush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Bakki Shower talk-ingroundbakki.jpg  

Well, that was more complicated than I was thinking. Here's my diagram. The pipe comming from the bottom drain has to be at a level that it overflows to the underground bakki house. This line could come in low, and a elbow and standpipe could be used to more accuratly adjust the flow (or a valve like in your drawing).

Pump is in a separate vault.

Is there a reason why the raised bakki house are long and narrow? Say if the think is 12" wide and 48" long (576 square inches), why couldnt it be 24x24. It seems to me the flow would be no different. So going with a 24x24. I could make the vault house this unit 32x32 (rubber lined). Then a pump house next to that (also 32x32 so you would have room to crouch down at the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Bakki Shower talk-ugbakki.jpg  

Daihonmei
    OK Bickal.....that does look like it would work.....as long as the pond is alot larger than the PMS chamber and you keep the water level/gravity feed flow PERFECT...drop dead perfect.....an inch drop in the level of the pond would defineitely throw this outta whack.

My main pond does not fluctuate at all. Why, because it overflows down a stream. Pump is flowing constant amount of water. Equilibram (sp?) The only pool that does fluctuate in my entire system, is the one at the very bottom, and that is only due to evaporation. Thats were the auto-float it.

Have you ever used a skimmer without a weir? Well, my first DIY one was. Water had to overflow the pond, then go through the skimmer, exit out the bottom and go downhill to my waterfalls. This actually worked really well, because the leaf basket was not submerged, and the leaves could just keep piling up.

Ive been working with gravity like this for a good number of years. Some of you guys should visit my pond sometime.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Bakki Shower talk-p0007b.jpg   More Bakki Shower talk-skimmer6.jpg   More Bakki Shower talk-skimmer2.jpg   More Bakki Shower talk-skimmer4.jpg  

Greg, It's been a while.......... I have been watching this and it's not to bad of a idea. I keep thinking of adding a shower to my pond, but hate the thought of adding another pump much less a pump that needs to push 1.5-2 times the size of my pond up to 6-7' of head per hour. Putting it under ground lowers the head way down and a much smaller pump could be used saving $$$$$$, but then you have the problem of getting fresh air down there, and running a fan, or air pump brings the running cost back up
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Sansai
    Greg, you can't match a pump perfect to that flow. The idea will work, but only if you have a oversided pump at the base with a float valve. Trays are long b/c you need air exchange accross the media, square would be more difficult, especially with poor air exchange in this setup. You need a powered vent system here.

Woody: There is head on the pump. The depth of the chamber must be included. The only way there would be no head on the pump, is if this chamber was flooded up to pond surface.

I can see now that im just gonna have to go build one of these. If I wasent so busy building my greenhouse at home, I could re-configure my prop pump test tank to do just this.

Narrow for air exchange. Gotcha, that makes sence. Yes, additional air would need to be pumped into this setup. Small squirel cage fan, shouldnt be a problem.

Ok, heres a differnt spin on my other drawing. Here there is an elbow up for the water entering the chamber. Closed system, just these 2 chambers. Whats going to happen? Well, the pump is going to pump water out of the BH chamber until the pond gets deep enough that the pressure equalizes through the pipe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Bakki Shower talk-ugbakki2.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast