Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every great hobby

Smile Every great hobby

All the great hobbyist have their own "lingo" that is unique to that activity or interest . Ponders or Koi people need to work on this aspect of their hobby. We seem to be hurting here so I borrowed a few rock climber's words to see if this would help in the creation of our very own lingo. Ex. I was really stolked when I saw my kohak was maxing out . Think of one?
    Bomber- Extremely high quality and dependability, any positive or beneficial state of being.
    Crank- To expend total effort in any endeavor.
    Dishy- Person climbing last is also the person doing the dishes at camp.
    Epic- Adventures in which abnormally scarry events become seemingly routine.
    Glissade- Terrifying slide down a mountain on one's backside.
    Grunt- One who can be persuaded by any means, promises, deception, love, coercion to stay behind and clean up.
    Manky- Bad or generally worthless.

Honmei

More exist than you may perhaps realize?

I would feel much better with people undertsanding the verbaige that exists already verses creating anything more. As an example:

Tatagoi - How many people REALLY understand what that meaning is? Only a handful I suspect.

Conformation - Its not just the shape of the Koi

Balanced - Doesn't mean symetrical

Sheen, Luster, Sumi Quality and the list goes on and on.

Steve

Fry
    Fukurin to the lot of you !

Honmei

Yepper Tom!

Another word most don't really understand...probably second only to "Tatagoi".

Steve

Fry
    Damn !. Took me ages to realise I didn't understand Tategoi, now I have to learn all about Tatagoi as well !

Fry
    Every 'group' has its own acronyms.. try asking a work colleague what he thinks a Baki Shower is. My bet is you'll conjure up an image of being spat it loads by some old bloke chewing tobacco (Baccy in the UK is tobacco)

Better yet, how about teaching me what the meaning of some of the koi terms mean, Just like the age of koi, one two and three years. What is what? Is a koi still called a fry under one year of age?

OK Koifishgirl, I will try. Breeding season in Japan runs from April to June. Fry are hatched and culled and selected and culled than released in mud pond. There they will grow until October. At 6 months, May, June, July,Aug, Sept, Oct they have grown and are netted by breeder as first year Koi or Tosai, about 5 to 6 inches. The following October, if they were lucky to be left are now Nisai or two year old Koi and so on.
    Baccy showers can happen when tail-gateing pickup trucks.

Tategoi
    KingK:

I thought our hobby already had a "lingo" of it's own... It's all the words associated with it, like tosai, nisai, sansai, kohaku, sanke, showa, tategoi, crapagoi, oyagoi, der leader and on and on and on....

The good thing about our lingo is that it's universal, you can talk to anyone in any country and ask "tosai ?" and no matter what language they speak they'll understand you... They may even answer in their own language "How stupid can you be, the fish is 30" long, how the heck can it be a tosai, you ugly dimwitted American" all the while smiling and bowing... Anywho you get my drift...

In the US we can say "That's a B itchn koi" and only the surfers and guys in their 60's will know what we're talking about... Even the KB PC language filter doesn't realize that this is an adjective and not a swear word, hence the space between the B and i...

Aloha! Mike T

I'm with KFG. I have to keep a list of Japanese koi terms (and their meaning) to refer back to on a regular basis. Otherwise, I'd be lost much of the time in these discussions.

Koi are ''fry'' only until their organs are developed and they have all the same pieces and parts as an adult. Depending upon the temperature and food availability, they are ''fry'' for only about a month. ''Fry'' is somewhat synominous with ''larvae''. After this, they are termed ''juveniles'' or ''young of the year'', which is somewhat synominous with ''tosai''. Sorry, I get a twitch whenever someone here calls a 4-inch fish a ''fry''.

Anyone know the Japanese name for ''fry''?

MikeT, I thought it was that other board that automatically censored the word ''*****in''?

-ste vehop kins

edit P.S. - Well, obviously you are right again Mike. I did not type all those little astericks... ****ing weird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast