Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: net pens

net pens

Can koi be spawned in large net pens and then the koi removed after the spawn. I wanted to do this in my mud pond this spring and then take them out because if would be easy to remove the parents without much trouble. If you can do this how large of a net pen will I need? Just makes sence to do this so you can pull parents out without having to risk smashing so many eggs.

Tategoi
    Yes, and you can have them custom made for your purpose. I'm even reusing a pen that was used in Spring for spawning purposes as a holding pen for some fish that are going to the koi show this weekend.

Net pens are pretty handy.

How big is your pen? I should be able to build one myself, does not look as if it would be that hard.

Kentaro, who helped with my training from Sakai fish farms , at that time spawned their couples inside in net pens with artificial spawning material. Quess would be 8x12x4 deep. the pens were aireated.

the only thing I would be concerned about is how would you disinfect the spawn
    already in the growth pond? usually they are dipped and then placed in a grow
    facility where the temp is constant, not subject to the weather. a drop in temp
    can cause loss of spawn as will fungus. Then you would need to totally disinfect and store the net pens after.

I used net pens last weekend to act as a holding tank while I culled my asagi
    babies.

Dick I was thinking in a large mud pond all would be ok. What do you think I should do? I was thinking the mud pond enviroment would give me a better hatch than a setting up a spawning tank and then moving the eggs.

Daihonmei
    Why not just get some spawning media and a couple of large blow-up pools and net them?

I use 4 ft x 8 ft x 4 feet deep with one foot of freeboard to prevent jumping. Its cheaper to buy them than make them. You can get them from Nylon Net Company or Memphis Net and Twine - both have web sites. They are sometimes called ''live cars''.

My biggest problem is that they smell like fish after being used and the rats, err... squirrels, chew holes in the net.

-steveh opkins

Yeah, I looked at them one time before, But I did not know that you could use them for spawning pens, how do you do it Steve?