Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which koi is the Marudo kohaku

I would think a koi that is orange and does not improve over time with color enhancers, then it might me of lower quality. Im not sure thought. I would think if a koi has deep beni hi then it is of better quality. Just my thoughs.

Judy

KFG,

Are you saying the darker red, more purple hi/beni is better to your eyes?

Wasnt talking about "weak hi", which is more my idea of what you are saying....

Thanks Bob-

Now I need a better computer screen; I still don't see the difference.

Mike

Interesting note on kohaku #1- It was clearly a three step kohaku when I purchased it. The maruten step merged with the second step over time. The As the sashi of the second step cleared up, the single large step is now much cleaner. I never would have predicted the steps would have merged.

LOL Mike...

neither would i have predicted that change in kohaku "#1"

Must have misunderstood what you said. I though you were asking about quality of hi

It was my understanding the the hi could not seperate or merge together that a pattern was set early, now I see someone else sees the same thing I have noted over time.

Daihonmei
    hi is a fairly stable color/pattern compared to sumi, but it ebbs and flows.....and people like matt McCann(breeder that knows his koi) can tell you where they are likely going to do their thing...i got a sanke from him that was 4 inches long. It was a blind draw that HenryC was able to pull off for a club he helped form. I drew a very red Sanke. Red from its lips all the way to its tail. I jokingly Asked Matt what he thought the sanke was going to be like. And he was very upbeat about it. ( I figured he was just trying to make me feel good.).. He told me it was going to break "here, and here, and here. And have either a hook pattern through the nose or kuchibeni) It has been a year and a half....and he was right. It is all coming to past.
    I look at the red on young fish and try and see if it looks like much change can happen.

Another interesting story on kohaku #1. I will go ahead and tell you this fish cost less than $200 as Nisai 12-14 inches. At Koi America 2001, Marudo was there working with Joe P. of Blackwater Creek. I walked up to one of his tanks early Saturday morning. I immediately noticed that the fish had some size. Other US dealers were displaying signs- "Jumbo" this and "Jumbo" that. I thought these gosanke were pretty good size for their age. Anyway, I had Mr. Hirasawa bowl two kohaku. The asking price was $200 each. Mr. Hirasawa suggested I consider a third fish and automatically placed it in the bowl. I think he was trying to teach me something. I considered all three and asked for a price to purchase all three. I got them for $500. Once home, I raised the three together in the same pond. One jumped to his death but the other two- I started taking to shows. I usually show twice a year. These two fish stayed approx. the same length so they competed head to head. Mr. Hirasawa's selection always beat my selection, due to skin quality I think. Mr. Hirasawa's selection turned out to be a male and my selection a female. Ha! I eventually got rid of the male and keep the female. Who knows, the male might still beat out my female but I continue to head in the direction of all females in my pond.
    Mike Pfeffer
    Northern Midwest ZNA show
    June 19 - 20, 2010
    Season's Garden Nursery
    Fishers, IN

Hard beni or soft beni?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which koi is the Marudo kohaku-hard-beni.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast