Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Q&A Session in Ojiya with Niigata Perf. Fisheries and Breeders

Tosai

Q&A Session in Ojiya with Niigata Perf. Fisheries and Breeders

My partner Arthur and myself have been invited to have this special session when we go to Ojiya to attend the Nogyosai Show in late October
    Anyone have any good questions that you would like answered about current state of affairs,etc . We only have one hour set aside for this meeting but will try to get as many answers as possible

Tony

In addition to all the obvious questions, I'd like to know the primary sources of replacement parent fish. There was great concern about the mixing of fish in ponds resulting in KHV being spread. Haven't heard much of anything, one way or the other.

If you could keep a notebook with the Q and A's asked that you thought were significant and then report back to us in this board, It would be appreciated.

Also since your a regular over the years of visiting this show and breeders you personal take on what you saw at the show and how it compared with other years. Ie: This year there were less contestants but the quality seems to increase every year. or for years we wondered were the good showas were and this year they dominated.

Thanks for the offer, Tony. Please see that Arthur gets fed regularly <grin>

I need a free ride if I am ever to get to go to Japan. Any suckers out their? Maybe one day, it just gets to me because I cant afford it, when I read about you guys taking these trips all the time I get a little jelous. I think I am starting to fill sorry for myself and need to do something constructive, dang surgery!

MikeM,

Don't know about the replacement of parent fish but certainly will inquire (keep in mind that Niigata breeders are a very close bunch that exchange potential parent fish on a regular basis).

About KHV, I can say that the Prefecture's Fisheries Department has a steel glove over the problem (keep in mind that unreported KHV that is discovered calls for a prison sentence). For example there will be a "special" sale of koi on Sunday Oct 30th and the announcement specifies that all koi have been tested for KHV and will be again after purchase and before shipment (all included in the price). Niigata breeders are very concerned about KHV rumors.

On the other hand, as I have reported before (some dealers disagreed, but others I spoke to personally did agree :-), koi that came out of Niigata last spring were genrally smaller and weaker than in past years (presumably due to limited ponds availability for over wintering and overcrowding). We received koi that held costia on arrival, where the normal would be just trichodina, and with the shipment stress, needed some real attention to get them back to health and growing.

Of interest to us is the real progress made in providing the breeders with facilities to overwinter their fish. We do know of some government subsidized greenhouse building in the flatlands of Ojiya. Will inquire about this issue.

Been too lengthy already, sorry,
    Arthur

Not too long at all, Arthur. To the contrary, what you think of as a simple personal observation opens doors for others.

I realize the Niigata breeders trade fish a great deal. The loss of existing parent fish has me curious about replacement sources because: (1) it says something about what the Niigata breeders see as the future of Nishikigoi; (2) I'm curious if there is going to be a reduction in the gene pool as a result, such as if there was a tendency to get replacements from a limited number of sources in southern Japan, rather than searching out new parents genetically similar to those used pre-earthquake; and (3) there has been talk of hobbyists returning show fish to breeders to replace lost oyagoi, but I suspect there has been a lot less of that than some reports might make one think.

Tosai
    I'll be more than happy to report back on everything I see and hear. I will be doing an article for Koi USA as well.

I will be taking lots of pictures, just picked up a 1 GB memory card for my camera

I only intend to take pictures of the rebuilding efforts to date and of course lots of pictures of koi of all sizes

We will have a booth at the Show so anyone that plans to make the trip over for the Show etc. please feel free to stop by and chat

Tony