Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Koi died

I threw the koi in the woods so I am sure something has got him by now, should be good and rotten. I will next time somthing like this happens take some pics and post for you guys, and I am sure I will learn something. I would think after 3 days he would be to far gone anyway.

Its just strange, I thought maybe a fishhawk of a heron got hold of him at first but when I inspected him, he looked as if he just stopped swimming and died. Day before he was eating like mad just like the others, you would think if he had something bad wrong with him that he would have shown some signs of being ill. I guess I should stop racking my brains trying to figure it out. I will make sure from now on that I keep the koi and let you guys help me. I just did not know that you could tell by a dead fish what was wrong when their is no outword signs.

Judy

Daihonmei
    JUDY,
    Please take a small video of YOU cutting open a stinky koi the next time one dies...if you find it right away, please wait....about 36 hrs would be best.....

OH! and ....Pwwwease.

Do you want the part where I am throwing up? Really I need something to hold off the smell or it is for sure gonna happen. Now I am wondering why I got into keeping koi, didn't think I would have to do a autopsy on a dead fish. Wonder if Febreze will work? Heck anything is worth a try right? Luke I will send you the video first so you can decide if it is worth the laugh you guys would get. I hope you are not serious about the 36 hrs, thing, if so I aint doing it. But I will send him to you and you can make a small viedo and send it to me and let me decide if it is worth posting/\

Daihonmei
    KFG,
    here ya go...another bit of wisdom FOR FREE....well you are going to send me a video.....
    get the strongest mint flavored gum you can find, and it will mask alot of the smell....
    We use it in the ER when the diabetics come in with a gangerous limb that needs amputating...and lower GI Bleeds....other things too...
    now do you think a dead fish is that bad...I have stories..... You should have been in Mickey's room Saturday night of MAKC..for a story not a smell....
    or you can dab some wintergreen under your nose...gum's easier to get..
    Altoids would work well i think

Thanks Luke , I will remember that! Let just hope I dont loose any more koi I paid to much for that one and lost it, 400.00 buck down the drain, did not even get a chance to get fry out of him. Oh well things could be worse.

There's not much use in doing an autopsy on a fish that has been dead for more than an hour or so and left in warm water. You might find a huge liver or a tumor but, otherwise, things start turning to mush pretty quickly.

Stuff happens.

-shop kins

Thanks Steve, I just think Luke likes messing with me. I am not real sure about the gum to, think that might open me up for a very loud smell. The man is a mess.
    Glad you set things straight, I can alway count on you. Wish you lived closer by I would love to meet you someday

Judy

Daihonmei
    KFG,

the gum trick works...that or putting wintergreen on your facemask

Ok Luke I will take your word for it, as you may not know I am somewhat gullible, my Doctor loves to mess with me. I am sure it shows on the forum, only thing here is I might really mess things up if you mess with me to much, if you do,please let me know cause really I take things serious

Daihonmei
    WEeeEElll..
    Um KFG, DEAD KOI STINK is the worst smell in the world...and stays in your clothes FOREVER, REALLY....
    So while you make the movie of you dissecting the stinky dead koi you might want to not be wearing ANY clothes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast