Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Question about Bakki shower?

Question about Bakki shower?

I was thinking of trying to build one. So, I went to home depot to scope out the options. Does anyone know how many gallons each tub in the bakki shower can hold? Is galvanized steel the same as stainless steel, and is it an appropriate material for this usage? Figured I'd ask the experts here...thanks for any help!

Daihonmei
    galvanized is a no-no...use decent plastic..
    And they are properly called Porous media Showers (PMS)

Thanks luke...P.M.S. Huh? Next time my wife annoys me I will blame it on Porous Media Shower. Then I'll snicker cause she wont get it...lol. Yeah,I know I'm childish. That damn porous media shower gives me a headache every month..lol.

Oyagoi
    for the plastic route, milk or veggie crates work great

each bin holds about 10-15kg of media, which is about 12x12x40

galvanized will not work, you need stainless food grade (316 or better) you will also need stainless mesh for the bottoms and a stainless pan for the catch tray.

In all honesty, if you are going to use BH, they sell the showers with media for a discount, not much difference between that and buying media then buying stainless steel and making it yourself cost wise-the savings on media negates the savings you get doing your own stainless

also, there is no such thing as PMS, my wife informs me it is just a Media Shower, porosity is simply an option, and a media shower with the proper media, bacteria house, is called a Bakki Shower
    so luke has to change his entire terminology cuz she said so---sorry luke, she feels your name is a deragotory and degrading remark for all women, and wants to challenge you to an armwrestling match which she is quite sure she can win
    if you want cheap-use plastic-if you want it to work, use Bacteria House

if you live in the states contact Carl from Keirin, he has built a few showers and since he will be selling you the media anyway, I am sure he will be glad to give you tips on shower construction

Nisai
    Hi

Why not plastic i was lead to understand bhm was the key for a bakki shower

Steve W

Oyagoi
    you might as carl about that. I have not read anything from Momotaro that specifies stainless must be used. I think the main reason is the durability and the aesthetic appearance. It also has the specified and tested best dimensions etc etc

If it sits in the open Stainless looks much better. There may be other reasons but I haven't studied them. Plastic will work too as far as I know. You just want to be sure you get the same dimensions, distance between layers, depth of layers, flow rates, and even distribution. With shorter plastic crates it does affect the flow. How much that affects performance is unclear to me at this point. In general, I think a more even flow is always better.

I have a pond with BH and crates running fine. One with stainless is just starting to run. I will let you know if I observe any significant differences. One though would be the adhesion of different bacteria strains, and another would be the temperature and the hardness factor affecting oxygenation and possibly any electrical dimensions. Good question for Maeda.
    Might you know more about that subject tewa?