Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Unknown

Unknown

I have a couple of kohaku that I dont know anything about except that their parents came from Japan and they were raised here. I got the two koi a while back and the color of hi on these two koi are a very deep red, unlike my momotaro kohaku that the hi is more orange. My guestion is can some of you take a look at this pic of the small female and maybe be able to tell me somthing about the koi. The pic is not the best in the world and you may not be able to see much.

I want to spawn this pair as they are sibs, the female is about 12 inches and the male is about 7 to 8 inches. When I got them I had to put them in a allready crowded pond and it slowed their growth down. Also they were raised in a lined pond to. My main question is will the fry of these two koi be small or will they if given good growing conditons and lots of room grow to a good size. I realize that I wont be able to get many fry from them, but I like the color of the shiro and the hi.

Thanks,
    Judy

The same pic is the the thread Pond Construction Begins, can anyone tell me how to delete the pic so I can post it here?

Thanks you,
    Judy

Here's the koi in question.

If you were to spawn them in the near future, the only drawback is the size of the eggs produced that I can speak from my own experience. Smaller fish that spawn means smaller fry, at least initially. Plus, they have smaller egg sacs to live off of the first couple of days. Conversely, bigger parents have bigger eggs and egg sacs. My 2 cents...

Thanks Blue, can you tell anything about the bloodline of this koi, This is not a good pic, but the koi has very deep red hi, I wish I had a better pic her, this is a pic from last September and she has grown 5 or more inches since then. I did not think they were going to grow at all till I put them in the mud ponds now she is growing good. I still dont think she will catch up though as I had her in my main pond at home for to long, I had way to many koi in the pond and she did not have much room. She may surprize me, you never know with koi.

Tosai
    Size is very inheritable; perhaps as much as 85% of the parental size will pass on to the next generation. You mentioned the koi being stunted which prevents an assessment of their size and therefore the known potential of size that is genetically inheritable. Breeding siblings together will also have some significant genetic drawbacks… size will suffer along with general vigor. Only inbreed when you need to fix a genetic trait, and only then.

I have some wonderful three year old koi selected for future breeding. My personal discipline is not to use them until they are wonderful 5-6 year old koi. It’s at this age when their true genetic qualities are proven viable for breeding. That’s the best advice I can give you. Let the koi themselves speak to you. Don’t speak for the koi.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I really like the hi on these two koi and I will wait and let them grow some and mature some more before I spawn them. Can you tell by pics what bloodlines they come from. All I know about the koi is their parents were raised in Japan and a hobbiest spawned the pair and rasied the fry here.