Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics before Katrina hits New Orleans

These pics were taken before the storm hit and not after, you go ahead and put that in perspective. How can you take pic after the storm to compare with clouds before the storm hit? Duh!

Not Katrina, not Mississippi or Louisiana. See http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/storm.asp

Smile

If moon phases can affect koi behavior such as spawning and feeding, can barometric pressure be a determinant? When the barometer is falling, pre hurricane or pre frontal weather change, it seems to trigger greater feeding for my koi. For example, today we have a weather condition moving in, nothing like the photos but a change. Koi were boiling to the food compared to feeding on a hot still dog day. Just a thought.

Sansai
    Sorry to say but snopes is right about these things 99.9% of the time. I didn't think those things looked much like a hurricane - but they are breathtaking piccies none the less, and I didn't feel like trying to figure out if they were real or not. Thanks lypope for checking snopes.

Oyagoi
    here is the pic I wanted to post originally, it should explain itself as to why those pics are not from a cane. I have been in so many canes I lost count. My response when I saw those pics was, "Those are not from a hurricane." A hurricane often spawns lots of tornadoes in it's life, however they are enveloped inside the turmoil of the rest of the storm, not isolated miles out in front of the cloud cover, at least in my experience. Usually the eywall winds and rain bands create the temp and pressure conditions that spawn tornadoes. But, the vast majority of them are within a few hundred yards of the eyewall winds, and are shortlived due to high wind gusts and external pressures and forces breaking them up. If that were really near an eywall, the rain and the flying debris and leaning trees and signs would be visibly evident. Those piccs lack the surrounding elements of a hurricane spawned supercell.

The reason- Supercells do form inside canes. However, by the time they are visible the cloud cover from the canes has been complete for a day or more, so the visiblity in those pics would not be there, the sun would not be shining through anywhere as it is in those pics. The rain bands wiuld be so thick you would literally see walls of water between the camera and the supercells.

here is the resized pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics before Katrina hits New Orleans-katrina1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Valarc
    Sorry to say but snopes is right about these things 99.9% of the time. I didn't think those things looked much like a hurricane - but they are breathtaking piccies none the less, and I didn't feel like trying to figure out if they were real or not. Thanks lypope for checking snopes.
    Well, looks to me like Valarc got in the boat with the holes in the bottom and is now wondering why the boat is sinking. Didn't feel like looking. Mark down a point for the Jungleman, he smelled this one out.

Sansai
    Say what, kong? Not everything on here has to be a battle, for heaven's sake. And people call me the confrontational one.

Edit: Oh and for the "didn't feel like looking" thing. That's exactly how i felt. The pics didn't look much like a hurricane to me, but my experience with them is limited and I didn't feel like spending time looking into it when I need to be spending my saturday paying bills and doing laundry. Sinking boat? I didn't start arguing or anything here - I said wow, stunning pics, then said "hey this guy found pretty good evidence that kfg was wrong". There's no sinking boat, I didn't take anyone's side - I said "nice pics". I had no inherent reason to go trying to prove her wrong because she's shown me no reason to mistrust her statements in the past. Not everything I do is about going to look for a fight - unlike some people, apparantly.

[QUOTE=Valarc]Say what, kong? Not everything on here has to be a battle, for heaven's sake. And people call me the confrontational one.

Confrontational, I haven't herd that but scientist, that rings a bell. Man up now, the Jungleman sniffed this one out.

Sansai
    Man up? I have him on ignore and actually resisted the temptation to read his posts on this thread - something I'm trying to do more often lately. You're acting like I made some huge mistake here or something. I could care less what he said or if he "sniffed it out" - this isn't a competition.

Daihonmei
    Living in the Hurricane State, And one that gets its share of supercells, at first glance i pretty much "saw" Bad Thunderstorm in each of the pics...
    hurricanes don't let you see the "big pictures" like that...even before the storm...the most you can hope to see are some odd "strings" of clouds on the far outer edge.
    Once the storm has gotten a couple of hundred miles away it is all blurry....like on the Weather channel...(don't ya know the Weather Channel would have put pics on their screen if this is what happens before a Hurricane...eye candy and serious ratings equals Big Time Advertising Dollars.

KFG, I remember on another thread where you said you were gullible, now we all know you weren't fibbing...
    but since you know you are, why would you defend the source of these pics?
    lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast