Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you get started in this hobby

I've kept fish since I was 3 or 4 years old ... I remember my grandmother letting me have 2 goldfish which I carried home in a paper carton with a wire handle. A neighbor had a lily pond. My goldfish would go to live in it when they got too big for their bowl. Then came tropical fish of all sorts. ...Skip ahead many years to 1978. My wife and I dug a small lily pond near the front door to our new house. A few comets were added and one day a nifty looking gold koi that was called an Ogon made its way into the pond. It was about two & a half inches and probably did not cost more than a couple of bucks... actually turned out to be a pretty good quality Yamabuki, but I did not realize it then. I've had koi ever since. But, it was not until I attended the 2nd All-Florida Show that I saw "real koi". I was hooked. Since then, my fishkeeping has shifted to koikeeping. Still have a few fish tanks for my guppies and such, but the koi get the attention.

Fry
    Back garden was full of clay and nothing grew very well in it. Decided it would be good for the kids to have a pond with some fish in. With a spade I dug through the clay and made a small pond 700 - 800 UK gallons. Got some good advice from a very friendly garden centre outlet and bought one of their special little black box filters and a pump. Lots of gravel in the bottom cos they like that ! Had some goldfish, rudd, tench & rainbow & brown trout and a few koi. The trout all died the same day I switched off the wtarerfall at the end of summer. They tasted nice.

Kids lost interest in the pond within a few days.

Rudd & Koi bred, added a few more to replace the ones that inexplicably kept dying. learned to buy expensive bottle of anti-bacteria, anti-parasite etc. Pond ended up two thirds water and a third medication !. Must have had well over 30 fish in it including a 16kilo purachina. For the next 10 years things went well, cleaned the filter as I'd been told to once a year, cleared out the dead fish every spring, friendly garden centre only too happy to sell me more.

New dealer opened up. Got talking to him about dead fish etc.. at that time they wree all dying, nitrite always very high, learned for the first time that there were others out there, discovered bulletin boards, air pumps it seems were essential, black box filters no good, koi don't hibernate etc.. decided to either fill it in or try one last time..... now have 3500 uk gallons, koi only, no plants, heated, loads of air & filtration, constant trickle of water and too many fish from Infiltation no money and a big electricity bill !

I think I was born for this kind of hobbie, had fish since I was 10, breed all different types and alway wanted a koi pond, built my first one and had to leave it because of divorce, took me 10 years before I could build another. Its a whole lot different than a tank inside. Less work, and much more to enjoy, koi are bigger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12