Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: As a Hobbyist what would be your ultimate goal?

Also the average pond size in the states is less than 6000gals. Now for anyone to raise a tosai to GC(American Jumbo 28") that would be a great achievement. But rarely have I seen this done. I was talking to Grant Fujita and he use to tell us back in the days 70's that hobbyist had to raise their fish from tosai and compete year after after to get to GC...

Sansai
    Okay, but are there not some very good mud ponds here in the states? If a show in the states was open to everybody - dealers and hobbiest alike - would you say that would be better than the current philosophy applied?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C
    Okay, but are there not some very good mud ponds here in the states? If a show in the states was open to everybody - dealers and hobbiest alike - would you say that would be better than the current philosophy applied?
    There are some good mud pond space here in the US dont get me wrong. The fact that once a Koi leave Japan it can never return to Japan, that's why you leave the koi under the best conditions to do well. In a Japan the fish will be under the experience the conditions, so that it can compete at the top show in the world. I get what you are saying in regards to raising something own your own, which I feel you on that...Me I am still doin that...Maybe you can buy a top-noch fish and leave it with Brady or Brett I am sure they will do it for you...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Boy my goal as a hobbyist, is way off from you guys. The ultimate goal for me as a hobbyist is waking up everyday and just sitting by the pond enjoying them. It will be nice when that day comes. I can't think off to many people that have that right now. Well maybe Mike T is living that life right now.

Tom

I admit I have MUCH to learn and a long journey ahead. That being said, I fail to see how this would be an accomplishment or educational to the hobbiest UNLESS they were a resident of Japan and had the Koi in their care. To me, it is more than just being able to educate one's eye in selecting a tategoi and leaving in the breeder's care for a set period of time - I would suspect upwards of five years. But then again, maybe I am missing the point completely.
    Same here.... much to learn, and long journey ahead....

I'm not arguing the "raising your own vs showing a ringer" point, but if you're into showing a fish and you can do it at the All Japan that says something. It represent the top of the hobby, to be able to be own and show a fish in that venue. Anytime you reach the top of anything, that's an accomplishment.

By all accounts, the world's best koi come from Japan. By most accounts, the world's best koi stay in Japan. The process of showing a koi, in that environment and being able to hear the judges speak on the merits of one fish vs another would be eye opening. If I were to guess, I'd say that the top five, maybe ten?, fish in Japan are better than any found in the rest of the world. To understand what make one of them the better than the others would have to be incredily educational.

To have 20 or more, greater than 30" extremely nice koi in superb condition. And what Tom C said

Bob how many do you have over 30" now?

Currently we have Five larger than 30" koi. Unfortunately, we lost two in the last 2 years to stomach lymphoma and "wasting disease". Woulda been almost half way there.

I admit I have MUCH to learn and a long journey ahead. That being said, I fail to see how this would be an accomplishment or educational to the hobbiest UNLESS they were a resident of Japan and had the Koi in their care. To me, it is more than just being able to educate one's eye in selecting a tategoi and leaving in the breeder's care for a set period of time - I would suspect upwards of five years. But then again, maybe I am missing the point completely.
    Well Tim I would also like to have a contender at the ALL-Japan. I realize that in order to do that you must leave it in someone elses care and will not get the satisfaction of growing it yourself. However with over 1700 entries last year (which was down from previous years due to the earthquake) just placing in that show would be an extreme honor. Consider this as well. While you may have koi in Japan growing out for the ALL-Japan show you would still have koi in your pond here that you would show in the US. You could also grow them out here in the US in one of the many mud ponds. I'd suggest you call Bill at Mystic Koi and order the ALL-Japan Show 2005 DVD. It might help you see what that show is all about.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Daihonmei
    When I can train a couple of Gosanke to take a bridle in their mouths and let me stand on their backs and have them motor around the pond as i wave to the friuit and oak trees in the yard....then and Only then will I have achieved "THE Goal"...
    or if i get asked by the lawd god almighty to come on up and help him pick out some good broodstock.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast