Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: As a Hobbyist what would be your ultimate goal?

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth
    I'd suggest you call Bill at Mystic Koi and order the ALL-Japan Show 2005 DVD. It might help you see what that show is all about.
    Thanks much. I will give Bill a call. I understand and appreciate the fact that the ALL-Japan Show is the largest Koi event in the world, but I still don't agree that one would get much of a feeling of accomplishment. Then again, I am still on my journey and have yet to get to that stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C
    Thanks much. I will give Bill a call. I understand and appreciate the fact that the ALL-Japan Show is the largest Koi event in the world, but I still don't agree that one would get much of a feeling of accomplishment. Then again, I am still on my journey and have yet to get to that stop.
    The DVD is in PAL, so keep that in mind....

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    The DVD is in PAL, so keep that in mind....
    Good point. It will work on any computer DVD drive but it might not work on a stand alone DVD player (they have no problem on my newer DVD player though).

Tim you are right its not the same. I would think its more the honor of picking a koi in Japan and having it do well in what is a mostly an all Japanese competition...where east meets west etc.. Then there is the relationship between the breeder and owner to consider. You have to really trust your breeder to make that leap to leave your koi that you own in his hands. Maybe if you look at it like owning a football team. You are not out on the field playing but you are bankrolling it and making the decision when you are going to make a real run at the Superbowl (as opposed to a rebuilding year). When your team wins you get to share in the victory. The reality is we all have different dreams no ones is better then anothers....just different.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Sansai
    Thanks much, you make excellent points.

oh goody, another horse analogy

I know how much everyone relates to the horse industry here (sorry, I live in home of Kentucky Derby) but very similar to owning thoroughbred race horses.

The owner chooses and buys high dollar foal from bloodline parents (and sometimes a less $$$, unknown) and turns it over to a trainer. You have owners from all over the world that generally are not that involved in daily care of horse. They choose the horse from certain lineage and from certain breeding farm, choose a trainer, etc., a pay the big bills. But there is still the owner(s) who jump up and down, go to the winner's circle, collect the big check, get credit, etc. Credit is also given to the breeder, trainer, jockey as well.

Horses raised locally or trained by the owners are often sentimental favorites because of the backstories. People like to see someone who has been "hands--on" with the horse win a big race...but that isn't usually the case. But the horse that wins one of big races: Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont, Breeder's Cup, etc., become famous and owners and trainer get lots of status because of a victory at the level of competition at these races, not so much to actual "story" behind the horse.

Point being, after taking the looooong way around, is that the big deal is the level of competition. How it all transpires isn't really a judgement call for me one way or the other. The Kentucky Derby just stands on its own as a horse race: the tradition, the level of competition, the challenge, the publicity, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mulberryjen
    I know how much everyone relates to the horse industry here (sorry, I live in home of Kentucky Derby) but very similar to owning thoroughbred race horses.

We could try Nascar next
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123