Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: As a Hobbyist what would be your ultimate goal?

As a Hobbyist what would be your ultimate goal?

For me, it would have to entering a koi regardless of size at the All-Japan Shinkokai Show....or maybe the All-Japan ZNA...

What would be yours? I mean be it a show or whatever....

Sansai
    Well, seein how you cannot import koi into Japan - your goal would differ from mine.

My goal is to select a 2yr old gosanke, raise it under my care and win GC one day at a Koi Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C
    Well, seein how you cannot import koi into Japan - your goal would differ from mine.

My goal is to select a 2yr old gosanke, raise it under my care and win GC one day at a Koi Show.
    Everyone knows you can't bring in koi to Japan.. I mean buying a koi and leaving it with the breeder to show at a top show...Anyways, your better off with 3 or 4 year old koi if you plan on raising a GC bro...

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Everyone knows you can't bring in koi to Japan.. I mean buying a koi and leaving it with the breeder to show at a top show...Anyways, your better off with 3 or 4 year old koi if you plan on raising a GC bro...
    Yep, one day. Still too pricey for my blood.

Problem (IMHO) of leaving a koi in Japan is that I get no satisfaction if the Koi does win. What I mean is, other than my plausibly selecting the koi, I have absolutely no hand in the care and development of the koi.

Yep, one day. Still too pricey for my blood.

Problem (IMHO) of leaving a koi in Japan is that I get no satisfaction if the Koi does win. What I mean is, other than my plausibly selecting the koi, I have absolutely no hand in the care and development of the koi.
    Just understand this in the level of this hobby, there is American Standard and there is Japan Standard...Anyways, I wish you luck on completing a Nisai to GC...Dreams do come true if you stick with them...

Sansai
    Just understand this in the level of this hobby, there is American Standard and there is Japan Standard...Anyways, I wish you luck on completing a Nisai to GC...Dreams do come true if you stick with them...
    Thanks much. If you would be so kind - please explain the different standards? Can one get satisfaction from doing nothing other than the initial selection and payments to the breeder thereafter to keep and develop the koi? Or am I missing the boat completely?

As a beginning hobbyist, I've never shown a fish. At this point I'm happy trying to understanding proper pond construction and filtration, learning about koi, koi health, and seeing their development.

At this point, I don't know if I will show a fish in the future. However it seems to be a natural evolution for many hobbyist. By most accounts, the All-Japan Shinkokai Show, is THE koi show. I would think having a fish in that event would be an accomplishment for any hobbyist, not to mention educational.

-Dan

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by dcny
    the All-Japan Shinkokai Show, is THE koi show. I would think having a fish in that event would be an accomplishment for any hobbyist, not to mention educational.

-Dan
    I admit I have MUCH to learn and a long journey ahead. That being said, I fail to see how this would be an accomplishment or educational to the hobbiest UNLESS they were a resident of Japan and had the Koi in their care. To me, it is more than just being able to educate one's eye in selecting a tategoi and leaving in the breeder's care for a set period of time - I would suspect upwards of five years. But then again, maybe I am missing the point completely.

For me, it would have to entering a koi regardless of size at the All-Japan Shinkokai Show....or maybe the All-Japan ZNA...

What would be yours? I mean be it a show or whatever....

To have the laughter volume we had this last weekend at every show. To hell with the trophies, and fish If laughter is the cure all, we'd extend our lives 2 fold.

Thanks much. If you would be so kind - please explain the different standards? Can one get satisfaction from doing nothing other than the initial selection and payments to the breeder thereafter to keep and develop the koi? Or am I missing the boat completely?
    The Standards are fairly different...

Japanese Standard Koi meaning the potential of the Koi is far greater for any Show outside of Japan. The Best Show in the World is All-Japan Combined. This show is for anyone..Breeders, Dealers and Hobbyist...For your fish to win at this show your the shiyt!!! You beat the best of the best!!!

Think person like me who knows his hobbyist skills and knows that a fish purchased in Japan has more potential staying in Japan than bringing it home will leave it in Japan to get the full potential of the fish in size and pond space.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast