Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights in or around the pond

Tategoi
    This is a very helpful thread, I am just figuring out lighting in my design.

This is what my pond looks like at night. I built my lights into the side of my pond, using 11watt landscape floodlights, and 20watt egg lights for the waterfall. My lights come on at dusk and are on till around 11-12 at night so the fish still have some dark time.
    I only have to clean the lamp covers about every other week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lights in or around the pond-im000900.jpg   Lights in or around the pond-full-night-1.jpg  

Sansai
    I think a big difference could lie in the environment of the fish. If you live in a busy neighborhood with a lot of cars coming and going at night, they might be less easily startled. If you live out in the middle of nowhere where the crickets are defening at night and the 'coons like to prowl, they might be more prone to panic.

Also, the style of light could make an impact. A flood is going to provide a softer, more diffused light. A spot will provide sharp shadows and a harsher light - I'd suspect spots would be much more likely to spook the fish.

thanks, Dinh! I figured I've hibernating long enough...

I only turn my light when we're outside unwinding and turn it off before we bed time which is around midnight time.

I think it's important to point out how the lights should be position to minimize the brightness. if you like the pond to lit up entirely like a swimming pool, then you can do that but, imo, I think lighting should help enhance the landscape as well as provide sufficient light to see the fish swimming at night. it's fun feeding them at night too. I have my pond light positioned at the bottom of the pond and pointing up toward the waterfall. I also adjusted it so that it points to one end of the pond. I didn't notice any fish panicking when I switch the light On.

Steve

Oyagoi
    In my experience with koi, I would say alot depends on what they are used to and what they ahve learned to associate it with. You an get them used to almost anything, if it is done daily. I would not recommend putting a large light on at night once in a while for visitors, it will probably spook them, but if the lights come on nightly until about 11 or 12, they will get used to it.

That said, lights do occassionally get leaks and can shock and kill the koi even with a GFI, so I keep all mine outside the pond. The thing that most often spooks my koi is when I go out there late at night and walk up to the pond and they are not expecting me, they act like I caught them naked in the bathroom and go running all over the place. Now I try to make some noise as I am approaching so they know I am coming.

Guys, remember koi have no eyelid and cannot close their eyes to the brightness of underwater bright lights. Koi are regulated by temperature and light cycles. You can get fish to spawn in the middle of winter with adequate temperatures and long dyalight-type lighting periods.

I just do not think it fair to impose bright underwater lights to my koi that cannot close their eyes.

On the other hand, soft out of pond lighting sometimes peaks their interests and encourages them to come see what is going on in a natural complascent manner.

JMHO

ever notice that koi like to rest at night? Not active or swimming when lights are down.. I go out with a dim flashlight and check on them.. They seem peaceful.. SO will all of these lights (mainly the in pond one that are briht) disturb their regular cyle through the day?? What is the long term effect of this???

Quote Originally Posted by keokoi
    ever notice that koi like to rest at night? Not active or swimming when lights are down.. I go out with a dim flashlight and check on them.. They seem peaceful.. SO will all of these lights (mainly the in pond one that are briht) disturb their regular cyle through the day?? What is the long term effect of this???
    More growth and stretched out Nidan's My pond must be the exception to the rule. My fish are way more active from dusk till lights out around midnight, they feed way more aggressivly during the time my lights are on. I have went out just before sun up and they are all at the surface swimming around like there's no tomorrow??????
    Probably just my screwed up pond

Quote Originally Posted by woodyaht
    More growth and stretched out Nidan's My pond must be the exception to the rule. My fish are way more active from dusk till lights out around midnight, they feed way more aggressivly during the time my lights are on. I have went out just before sun up and they are all at the surface swimming around like there's no tomorrow??????
    Probably just my screwed up pond
    same observation here! my fish eat a lot more at night too and they feed aggressively. must be the lights affect.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur
    snipped...On the other hand, soft out of pond lighting sometimes peaks their interests and encourages them to come see what is going on in a natural complascent manner.JMHO
    very true. they are very curious creatures. they gather around and check out whatever I put in the pond right away. they don't seem to be shine at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast