Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lights in or around the pond

Tosai

Lights in or around the pond

I'm considering adding some lights either in or around my pond . Is there anything I should consider or be aware of before I start this project ?

Thanks Phil

GFI GFI GFI

Also consider if your resting cycle is distubred.

Example Say you got some friends over and you wanna show of the pond.. So you flick the lights and your Toshio Sakai sanke gets spooked swims real fast and bumps her head on the skimmer. That would be a bummer now wouldn't it..

I know some people love lights and how they look in the pond and outside. So if you still are condering putting them in.. Then at least keep them outside of the pond and have em on at dusk..

Just my Opinion...

Joe

Ditto to Keo, except I would suggest low-voltage lighting. You can use a standard landscape lighting transformer that has a eye (photocell) to turn the lights on at dusk. Low voltage will also save you a little $$$ on energy usage. It is possible to use 12 volt "rope" lighting as well, many kinds and styles to choose from just do a google search for underwater low voltage lighting......

Lights in the pond suddenly turned on at night will freak the koi and cause a flight reaction which is very bad when the water is cold. This is also true for flood light suddenly turned on at night.

As woodyaht suggests, I have this rope lighting (hundreds of small bulbs in a flesible plastic tube) around the arbor over the patio right next to the pond. This provides enough light for drinks or even meals oudoors. It does not freak out the fish when turned on because they are pretty soft, to the contrary, the soft light attracts the koi that you can then swim around the surface of the pond.

FWIW
    Arthur

I used to have underwater lights - but it had so many issues as mentioned by Joe, Arthur and Chris, so I took them out few years ago. Also, you need to clean it quite often due to the algae.

Better to have them outsite of the pond.

--Dinh

Tosai
    Thanks Guys . Underwater lights was what I really wanted but now its no longer an option for me . I have seen the rope lights used on boats and I think that might be the best option for me .

Thanks Again , Phil

Some people have used the 120 volt ones you can get at Depot or Lowes, but I wouldn't. The 12 volt ones would be the best IMHO, they aren't as easy to come by, but they are available.....

Quote Originally Posted by philipyoung
    Thanks Guys . Underwater lights was what I really wanted but now its no longer an option for me . I have seen the rope lights used on boats and I think that might be the best option for me .

Thanks Again , Phil
    I am currently using one 12V pond light. been using it for past 6 months. had to clean the algae off once. that's it. I turn it on almost everynight. didn't see any impact on my koi for past 6 months.

Nisai
    My "pond" started off life as a 18' x 32', 22,000 gal. in-ground swimming pool. Fish have lived there since 1997. I still occasionally turn on the pool light, which is very bright and is located on one side, in the deep end. Maybe it is because of the large volume of water, but I have never noticed a particular startle reaction when the light goes on. I often feed the fish at night, with the light on, so they might associate the light with eating, also. It is interesting to note that some of the fish, particularly the smaller, younger ones, will orient themselves to the light, in the water, so I am able to get a good look at their shapes and what their whole side looks like.

S. Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen
    I am currently using one 12V pond light. been using it for past 6 months. had to clean the algae off once. that's it. I turn it on almost everynight. didn't see any impact on my koi for past 6 months.
    Steve,

Welcome on board !!!

As Chris said, 12V seems to be OK - mine was high-voltage ;-)) Fish did not happy when you suddenly turned on @night.

--Dinh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast