Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: TDS & Your Pond Water

TDS & Your Pond Water

Just wondering how people here look at the TDS readings and how they affect your fish. What are peoples options on lowering TDS, R/O units, what else? The little bit of reading I have done seems to show that low TDS will produce a lean fish that grow fast, where as hi TDS will produce fat fish with slower growth, i.e. my pond My well water right at the expansion tank is 383, my pond is 429, and my tap water inside the house using a water softener is 539.
    Do these numers go side by side with ORP readings (don't have a ORP meter yet)?
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Hi Chris,

great subject and something i am trying to understand more about at the moment.

TDS is a reading of anything and everything that is dissolved into the water in PPM.This will include of course the normal make up or GH & KH. When testing you GH & KH they should come out about the same.So the lower the TDS the better now this can be done to a certain extent by having a nice clean system with a good filtration system but at the end of the day if you water is high then the pond will be.

I am currently running an RO plant which i have only recently installed as i want to get my water quality a lot better.My tap water is 500+ but the pond normally runs around 460 which is not that good I have added the RO plant and now have a GH of 10 a KH of 7 a PH of 7.7 and a TDS of 310 so i am gradually getting down bit by bit.

My reason for doing this is i believe that having the better quality softer water will benefit the koi in the health side and is not for the fast growth as my koi have always seemed to of grown in my hard water.

Hope this helps a little...and hope Ive got it correct
    Regards

Gazza

Talking

Don't forget that TDS measures only ionic-forms of of whatever is in your water.

It is a great tool to monitor how dirty the pond water is. For example, I could see different trends in TDS-measurements while using different brands of koi pellets.

In my experience, the TDS probe and measurement are not as finicky compared to ORP.

Don't know about the effects on koi's shape and growth, no data.

Oyagoi
    I check mine regularly, if I do regular 10% changes it stays around 250-300, which is too high for me. I did get ahold of a filter system I have not installed yet. It should lower it to about 70 when mixed properly. The other interesting thing I found is a non R/O filter for the tap that removes down to 5 microns with a series of filters with different micron ratings. I want to try that, and get it right to 70, and see how things sit then. That is what alot of the breeeders in Japan have in terms of tds, with the gh and kh mentioned above.

Water like that also reduces flukes, sicknesses, and improves skin quality. I imagine for the koi it would be comparable to us living in a dust filled house, not very good for us.

Tategoi
    TDS is the measurement of disolved solids. It the water isn't run through a filter the readings may include particulates as well so running your water through the multi stage filter won't change the amount of disolved solids, only the reading.

An RO or resin softener will lower TDS, GH and KH to zero if done without precautions your fish will be harmed more than if you leave the water alone.

Some hobbyists bypass the RO, etc. with enough tap water to establish the GH/pH readings they want. If you like to work outside the box like I do, do like me. DON'T BUY EXPENSIVE FISH.

bumpity-bump

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    bumpity-bump
    Thanks...
    Joe

I'd like to mention that some folks recommend not 'fighting' their source water (if the water is acceptable). I am a good example of this with my high TDS and high general hardness. Easy for me- more Sanke and Showa! Just be aware that it is a lifelong battle. Anyone else notice that RO systems are far more popular in the UK than the US?

I'll be the first to tell ya that I have not formed my own theory on the whole "low TDS is better" theory. Than again, I concern myself more with ORP and biological conditions than TDS values. At what expense does a low TDS value present to the bacteria? What about the ability to buffer pH?

Hi all, for those of you that may not know RO stands for Revers Osmosis, yes for some reason they are popular here in the U.K. WHY DON'T KNOW ?
    I am one that believes in fighting battles you can win ! If your supply has high TDS GO WITH IT.
    YOU WILL ONLY END UP SPENDING HUGE AMOUNTS OF CASH, FOR VERY LITTLE IMPROVEMENT IN YOUR kOI.
    Spend that money on higher flow rates, better filters for bio improvement.
    Good point about buffering, not a big fan of low PH, DUE TO ACID RAIN. PLUS RAISED PH HELPS IF YOUR FILTERS GO DOWN.
    Spend money on feed or colour enhancers , some TDS ARE A REAL PROBLEM, METALS , SULPHUR , ARSENIC AND THE LIKE.
    FIND OUT WHAT YOUR TDS' ARE !!! Then worry if you have to.

Brian
    ricshaw likes this.

Tategoi
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
    Hi all, for those of you that may not know RO stands for Revers Osmosis, yes for some reason they are popular here in the U.K. WHY DON'T KNOW ?
    I am one that believes in fighting battles you can win ! If your supply has high TDS GO WITH IT.
    YOU WILL ONLY END UP SPENDING HUGE AMOUNTS OF CASH, FOR VERY LITTLE IMPROVEMENT IN YOUR kOI.
    Spend that money on higher flow rates, better filters for bio improvement.
    Good point about buffering, not a big fan of low PH, DUE TO ACID RAIN. PLUS RAISED PH HELPS IF YOUR FILTERS GO DOWN.
    Spend money on feed or colour enhancers , some TDS ARE A REAL PROBLEM, METALS , SULPHUR , ARSENIC AND THE LIKE.
    FIND OUT WHAT YOUR TDS' ARE !!! Then worry if you have to.

Brian

If your aim is to grow a jumbo GOSANKE with high quality skin from tosai and nisai, soft water with low tds differential is the best way to go.

I have yet to see a very high quality skin and conformation jumbo gosanke grown from tosai to nisai grown in hard water conditions with very high tds.

Some with hard water are saying they have fantastic growth with their gosankes. But its easy to grow up to 60 cm in soft or hard water. But to grow a gosanke up to 85cm with still a youthful skin with luster in hard water and very high tds is something I would like somebody to show me. Of course there would be a very few exception( those with very good skin to begin with and blessed with super growth genes) however I would still assume that if this particular exceptional koi was placed in softer water it would achieve better quality and even better growth.

Btw, I maintain constantly a TDS of 80 to 85 with a source water of 70. KH API reading of 1 to 2. Ph of 7.2.
    Tora Bora likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast