Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Need Advice

Fry

Question Need Advice

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'm a toatl rookie when it comes to Koi. Ijust installed a pond several weeks ago ( 8'w x 10'L x 30d ). I purchased 2 koi, not sure of the variety, from a local store they have been in the pond for 6 days, they are not eating the food that I provide. The water temp is an average 66 degrees. Any help/ advice would be great. Thanks Mike

Your biological filter is not mature yet, and the koi will help to mature the filter, but if you have a friend that has a koi pond get some established filter from them to help seed the filter and then the pond should be good in a couple of day for the koi. It is best to start out with some goldfish to help get the filter ready for koi. You might loose the koi because your filter is not ready,

Another thing is are you on city water or well, if city water you need to put chimical in water to get rid of chol. Koi and goldfish will die if it is not taken out of water, also do you have a ph test kit?

Your koi may just be scared and not used to the enviroment and you, I would remove the koi into a small kiddie pool and keep clean water in the pool, change everyday untill your pond is more established, add some cheap goldfish to help this along and then in a week or two put the koi back into the pond if the goldfish live.

Judy

Hello Mike

Welcome to KoiBito forum.

First of all, do you have a filter on your pond. If not, you need one.

If you do have a filter running, as KFG said, itīs not working very well yet. Make sure you check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. Also, feed very little, and change water frequently. Make sure the water you use to top up the pond is suitable for your koi to live in.

IMHO, I would leave the koi in the pond, because I think that koi in a pond with a filter that does not run a 100% are better of than koi in a kiddy pool without any filtering at all, as long as you keep changing water at the same rate in both systems.

I would like to have other peoples opinion on this just to be sure.

Rgds

Regenmeneer

Tosai
    hi mike

i would not recomend feeding any food at all but start doing 10% water changes daily from now.go to a koi shop?store and buy something to neutralise the chlorine etc.

buy yourself a water test kit to check on ammonia and nitrite also ph.you did not mention if you had a filter on this pond you need some sort of filtration.
    when your water quality has improved then you can start feeding but only very slow amounts at the start so your filter can keep up.also maintain your water changes daily .
    good luck andy

Hi Mike

Welcome to koi bito.

1st give us a complete list of all equipment installed on your pond. Name and size of pump filter. Due you have bottom drains? Have you tested the water? How are the fish acting, besides not eating?
    Also DO NOT PUT ANYTHING FROM SOMEONE ELSES POND IT COULD CAUSE YOU MORE PROBLEMS THAN GOOD....

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by mikea
    Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'm a toatl rookie when it comes to Koi. Ijust installed a pond several weeks ago ( 8'w x 10'L x 30d ). I purchased 2 koi, not sure of the variety, from a local store they have been in the pond for 6 days, they are not eating the food that I provide. The water temp is an average 66 degrees. Any help/ advice would be great. Thanks Mike

It may not be the filter. I think you do not have sufficient aeration. Get a 1000-3000 gph second pump from Home Depot or garden stores and pump the water back in the pond directly so that you see a lot of bubbles or aeration going on. Leave the other pump attached to filter alone. Then add a powder or liquid pond bacteria (PondCare Enzyme plus or similar) from Home Depot, PetSmart, or a garden store in the pond. Add a small amount of iodide free salt (water softner Morton salt from Home Depot): 5 lbs in your 1500 gallon pond. Finally add a UV sterilizer (I use Laguna 55 W UV for a 6000 gallon pond). I also like FishMate 25 w Filter/UV.

Sansai
    Wow... this thread would be a great one to bring up in the "is learning on the internet a good thing?" discussion.

I'm hoping someone more experienced than I will step in and correct some of this info... but I'll keep watching and post my own opinions if we don't hear from the experts. I'd rather give someone who really knows their stuff the opportunity to post first.

Exclamation Listen To Nancy

We need more details about your pond set up before we can begin to diagnose it.

Oyagoi
    exactly which info is it you think needs corrected val? The guy needs to answer the questions posed to taek it any further.

Did you neutralize the clorine?

Have you chaecked you ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

Exactly what are you trying to feed them?