Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Flake food

Flake food

Can flake food be fed to small koi? I have some Tetra Fin flake food that is 42% protein and thinking it would be good to feed. I want to use it in the mud pond will it be ok.

I would imagine it could...but, you can also put your pellets in a blender or food processor and make crumbles or even powder to feed them.or just soften it up and feed it whole.

Lawanna

Daihonmei
    yes and is..often with a higher % of protein than that...other people have a coffee grinder and grind up high quality koi food

Luke I want to learn more about this KH and GH thing with water quality. I thought I knew most of what I needed to about water quality but since this issue about about in the ph problem thread, I am lost. I am looking for a meter to test but still I would like to learn more about this.

I can remember years back I had well water, the well water was acid water, very low ph and I fought with this all the time. I did use baking soda in the water to help but if my memory serves me correctly I had a problem with wide range ph swing using the baking soda, now that I have heard of this KH and GH thing I want to learn more. If I had known about this years ago I might have been able to correct the problem in my aquarium without having to use branch water. I think I also used ph up and down and still had very bad swings, I could not seem to stablize water. I was lucky that I did not lose my fish as I stayed on top of this but they were under a great deal of stress because of the swing. I want to learn what to do about this as I love my koi and want to keep them in good health. If you can in simple terms how about jump starting this for me.

Hi Koifishgirl,

Try this link, lot's of usefull info there
    http://www.fao.org/documents/show_cd...E/X5085E0a.htm

TetraMin is great stuff for young koi and goldfish. The fish grow really well and do not develop visceral fat deposits. I would use it exclusively if I could afford to. Even in the 3-gallon tub it costs over $15 per pound, compared to $0.40 per pound for industrial feed.

-stevehopkins

Daihonmei
    kfg,
    One day I might know about gh and all that ball of wax, but I will tell you how people learn about those kinds of aspects of the hobby..they become their problem....people that have a good knowledge base about a disease have had the disease....
    And right now ...well i made a concrete pond and not a linered pond for a reason...and I have good wellwater...so i amy never learn about Kh.