Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Central California Koi Show Results

2005 Central California Koi Show Results

Norm Call and I had the pleasure of judging the CCKS show last weekend in Fresno, California, and I am pleased to post the results and some of the pix here.

Very nice group of people, super chemistry, and nice koi. 141 entered, and the GC was a 26ish " Showa owned by Don Robb, and the Reserve Champ was a Nice 25" Sanke owned by Karlyn Crediford. Originally a koi that Don Owned...The bodies of the koi were bigger than the pictures show, especially the GC. Some really great Ponds were seen as a tour, with a special notable one owned by the Robbs... Felt like we were in Hawaii with alot of great koi.....Only the pond was deeper.. Here is the GC and Reserve GC.... and The AKCA fish....
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

More of the koi and people...

First some of the other "champions".. The sorogoi is close to 30" and the Mostly black 28" Kumonryu was especially striking...The first show is best in size over 20" and with the mouth open, looks like an eel. Not really like that. This one had the best sumi, very lacquer like compared to more matt like of the GC, and is about 24". Possible GC next year, this year didnt have the size to compete with the GC.. same owner Don Robb ...

ooops.. here is the kumonryu (s) One challenge was that they had 8 shusui all about 8", and I think siblings from the same spawn, to be judged against each other... not in the same tanks... EEEK is what I did when i saw them

Some of the ponds we saw.. In order.. the Vukovich's, the Robb's, and then the Credifords....

Interestingly, their "trophies" are actually plaques. Given out at the Banquet, complete with a very nice picture of the winning koi. Each winner also receives a plaue with the year of the show, and an engraving to be placed on the plaque.. Again, all done by the evening banquet.. very smooth. For the previous years' winners and reserves, they had two seperate plaques, with the year, the variety koi, and the owners. pretty cool

Daihonmei
    now i gotta ask...
    Are these "retouched" photos?

no... the colors were pretty close to what you see...Although, i must admit that I did not take all the photos myself, but got a copy of the cd from their newsletter editor.. It was only an hour or two post show, so i suppose he could have touched them up. But it was so quick, and he had all his pix ready that fast.. would be tough to have done that..If there is a possible difference from reality, it might be in the whites.. My pix of the same koi looked close, but not as good..Hang on, I will post a couple of mine for the same koi....Not as straight on, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Thanks for the report and the pictures Bob.

When I saw the pond pictures, I was wondering if the current in the round pond is alternated to make sure the koi do not develop stronger on one side than the other. Do you know?

Rgds

Regenmeneer

The round pond is primarily a quarantine, but the current is not changed. I asked that question, and this fellow does not believe he has ever seen that occur. He breeds koi as a hobby, and those mudponds are his grow out pond.

Hey, Bob what were the show results? Who won GC-BGC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast