Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: filtration for a 300 g. rubbermaid stock tank

filtration for a 300 g. rubbermaid stock tank

Do you all think a pump with a prefilter, a Bioforce 1000+10 watt UV, and a few home made things like a lava rock bio filter. Would that be enough filtration for a 300 Gallon Quarintine Tank? Thanks for the help, by the way I am a new member here. ( the Bioforce 1000+10 watt uv is for a 1000 gallon koi pond) Oh, I will have lots of plants in it for some veggie filtration. Thanks

bump...

Jumbo
    Let me offer this to your bumpiness.

My bioforce 2000 was bought about 4 years ago in my first attempt at a filtered pond. Pretty lousy attempt. Pretty frustrating filter. Since then I have revamped it, throwing away all the sponges, souping it up like mags on a slant six, and use it for my indoor 60g goldfish pond, running 700gph through it. Works fine now. Use yours for your QT if you'd like.

I don't think I've ever seen a bump on this board. I don't think I enjoy bumping.

Mickey the windowman

Koimystic: I am not familiar with that filter, so I'll defer to others who are. However, I am concerned that by adding plants to your QT you are really creating an over-sized barrel garden, not a QT. A quarantine tank should be designed to give perfect water conditions for new arrivals and be easily treated in the event some health issue arises. That means: No organics in the QT, no gravel, no soil. The filter media should be active at all times, which can be accomplished by maintaining some sacrificial goldfish in the QT when it is not housing koi, or by keeping the filter media in a portion of your main pond's filter system. A QT is a purely utilitarian set of equipment. You can hide it behind some screening, but don't beautify it into a watergarden... it defeats your purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by mitten
    Let me offer this to your bumpiness.

My bioforce 2000 was bought about 4 years ago in my first attempt at a filtered pond. Pretty lousy attempt. Pretty frustrating filter. Since then I have revamped it, throwing away all the sponges, souping it up like mags on a slant six, and use it for my indoor 60g goldfish pond, running 700gph through it. Works fine now. Use yours for your QT if you'd like.

I don't think I've ever seen a bump on this board. I don't think I enjoy bumping.

Mickey the windowman
    I agree! Those things are so frustraiting! It is almost worth cutting a sheet of matala because they dont crush so easy. It clogs all the times! But, it works well and its what I have that i can use. I think I am going to change to this filter set up. sorry that i have changed. http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg5.htm what do you all think? it is genes ( www.koivillage.com ) DIY page for stuff. Really cool site! Oh, and if I add a "dome" to the shower drian, wouldnt it creat the same type of vacuum as a bottom drain?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    Koimystic: I am not familiar with that filter, so I'll defer to others who are. However, I am concerned that by adding plants to your QT you are really creating an over-sized barrel garden, not a QT. A quarantine tank should be designed to give perfect water conditions for new arrivals and be easily treated in the event some health issue arises. That means: No organics in the QT, no gravel, no soil. The filter media should be active at all times, which can be accomplished by maintaining some sacrificial goldfish in the QT when it is not housing koi, or by keeping the filter media in a portion of your main pond's filter system. A QT is a purely utilitarian set of equipment. You can hide it behind some screening, but don't beautify it into a watergarden... it defeats your purpose.
    Thanks, ill keep that in mind.