Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help buying koi

help buying koi

I am going to buy a few new koi to breed next year or the year after that. What types do you suggest? I want about 1 female and 2 or 3 males. What do you suggest for the female? An ogon? and males - kohaku, another ogon, and ??? ? What do you suggest? ThanksPS: I posted this in the wrong section earlier.

Hi Koimystic,

Not more Ogons .

Get some red in your pond .

So Kohaku or Showa and get breeding (the koi not you).

Thanks. I would like to stay away from breeding with black, as it is harder to breed with. Thanks So what should the female be and then what should the males be?

You can't go wrong with gosanke. Kohaku breed more true than almost any other variety. If you start with sibling adults, you will get a larger percentage of offspring that look like the parents.

Get at least two females and at least two males - just in case something happens. If you are buying for next spring, you will have to get nisai or older, but will be able to tell the sex. If you are buying for 2007, you can get away with tosai, but will have to get extras to make sure you have some of each sex.

I bought a group of Sakai [Izawa] tosai sanke for my 2007 breeding pairs. I do not know if they are siblings, but hope so.

-steve hopkins

I would go with Kohaku...for you start off with Kohaku and you always come full circle to Kohaku again.

I could go into a lengthy explaination but let me just say Shiro Utsuri might be a good one to start with.....

Quote Originally Posted by bekko
    You can't go wrong with gosanke. Kohaku breed more true than almost any other variety. If you start with sibling adults, you will get a larger percentage of offspring that look like the parents.

Get at least two females and at least two males - just in case something happens. If you are buying for next spring, you will have to get nisai or older, but will be able to tell the sex. If you are buying for 2007, you can get away with tosai, but will have to get extras to make sure you have some of each sex.

I bought a group of Sakai [Izawa] tosai sanke for my 2007 breeding pairs. I do not know if they are siblings, but hope so.

-steve hopkins
    thanks. so you say 2 males and 2 females? i was thinking 1 female and 2 or 3 males. i guess with what your saying, i will get more fry. I hope to breed next year... this is only for learning, not money...

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    I would go with Kohaku...for you start off with Kohaku and you always come full circle to Kohaku again.
    thanks! but what gender should the kohaku be? should they both be kohaku?

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    I could go into a lengthy explaination but let me just say Shiro Utsuri might be a good one to start with.....
    Thanks. what should I breed it with? Your talking a femal shiro utsuri, right? thanks!

I think most beginners think in turn of re inventing the wheel. for example you breed a shiro utsuri and a kohaku to get showa.
    But beginners need to breed type to type, shiro to shiro. Can teach you a little secret tho, what ever you decide to breed get a standard female and breed it to
    a Gin Rin male. end result is you get both without the expense of two pairs. You'll be surprised as to how soon you can tell which ones are GR and which aren't!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast