Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Bakki Shower/Bacteria House vs Conventional Submerged Filtration System.

Sansai
    I have been doing everything exactly the same prior to this comparison ie 10% water change and daily siphoning of my 1st few chambers (and feeding 8-9x/day). The incoming water source has a stable nitrate level of about 12.5ppm.The increase in flow rate is about 5 tons/hour and as I have mentioned before, mine is a 4-tier BS. I will be away for the next few days and will leave the filters alone until I come back on Sunday. Lets see what happens after that.

Bakki Shower/Bacteria House vs Conventional Submerged Filtration System.

How much is a bakki house?.... Can one be made?... If so, how does one go about creating one?....... Seems rather simple if you ask me.....

Adreamer2

Sansai
    The tower itself is trivial to make, of course. So, to justify the outrageous price, they have to claim the media is better. Rather than provide any concrete studies showing improvement in water parameters over alternatives like lava rock, they throw out the Far Infrared marketing campaign.

Note that I'm SEVERELY tempering my language here, because I don't want this to erupt into world war 3 again. If you want my REAL opinion on FIR, feel free to PM me

Oyagoi
    There is plenty of concrete evidence already given. Go to www.yumekoi.com for more info and facts, or www.keirinponds.com

As for the FIR, the new Navy ship hulls are based on that very thing, to reduce buildup of deposits on the hulls.

The shower itself can be made of several things. Stainless steel ones can be bought from Carl at Keirin or made at a local stainless steel metal shop. The dimensions are right on Momotaro's web site. Plastic crates are ugly, but work.

Wont the stainless steel become a problem later???.... wont it rust or something?....

Adreamer2

Quote Originally Posted by adreamer2
    Wont the stainless steel become a problem later???.... wont it rust or something?....

Adreamer2
    Good stainless steel will not rust.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Oyagoi
    Ask for grade 316 or better. It won't rust unless it is cheaper stainless alloys mixed with things that will rust.

Quote Originally Posted by junglegeorge12
    Ask for grade 316 or better. It won't rust unless it is cheaper stainless alloys mixed with things that will rust.
    316 or better is definitely the way to go, but.... have the fabricator put the quote in writing, placed in a sealed envelope, and don't read it until you get back home. That way you can be sitting down on something soft when you read the sticker shock Plastic crates won't be nearly as ugly then (They can easily be hidden from view with fence panels, bamboo curtains,...)

MCA
    The grade of SS you find in hardware from the DIY stores for bolts, screws, and washers is 304. It will definintely rust...it will just longer than steel without nickel mixed. 316 SS has steel, nickel and molybdenum mixed. The downside of any SS is that is relatively brittle compared o traditional steel.

Stainless Steels Chromium-Nickel
    304 stainless steel has a high resistance to corrosion and lends itself to many types of fabrication, making it one of the most widely used forms of stainless steel used today.

Stainless Steels Chromium-Nickel-Molybdenum
    316 stainless steel has a high resistance to many chemical corrodents and marine atmospheres. 316 stainless steels are more resistant to general corrosion and pitting/crevices than conventional austenitic stainless steels. 316/316L stainless steels also offer higher creep, stress-to-rupture and tensile strength at elevated temperatures. 316 are also well suited for fabricated or formed applications.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Sansai
    Back from family hols 2 days ago.

The nitrate level has come down to 20ppm; much slower than I have hoped or expected. Or am I expecting too much? The other objective parameters are status quo and the kois are great. The owners of some of the kois in my pond since Dec 8th should be very pleased with their development. I know I am.

Will by-pass the FG aboveground filter (with matala) this weekend.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast