Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: KHV - Is it in Niigata?

Honmei

Question KHV - Is it in Niigata?

I truley beleive that KHV is everywhere. To what extent, I don't think we really know. There have been a lot of rumors about KHV in Niigata because a lot of breaders had to put there fish together after the earthquake. We deal with a lot of breaders that have the same integrity as Momotaro, and I truley beleive that if it was rampant in Niigata that the breaders would be the first to expose that they have it. This is the way they do business. We spoke to Torazo, Hosokai and a few others about what we have been hearing about KHV and they were absolute in there assesment of the situation. KHV is not rampant in the hills of Niigata.
    I beleive this and I know this may strike a chord with others, so please voice your opinion.

The breeders in Niigata were conducting KHV tests prior to the quake.
    They had a clean bill of health.
    Out of neccessity they mixed koi from different breeders in some places, but if they were already clear where was the risk?

But, if you were a dealer importing koi from another area of Japan it was a useful rumour to propogate. Over here, it was only propogated by dealers that imported from the south.

rgds BERN

Since there are wild carp in Japan, and since KHV has occurred here and there among the koi and food fish farms over a decade, would you not think that the wild carp population has been exposed somewhere along the line? With KHV likely lurking somewhere within the wild population, would you not think that there is a possibility (however remote) that any outdoor pond could be infected from the wild population via birds, rats and other small mammals, fishermen, etc.? The disease (or rather the fish health) will have to be monitored and managed going forward. However, I am not sure that any reasonable and cost effective health management protocol can provide a 100% guarantee that the farm will not become infected. All you can do is be careful, and be prepared to act quickly to limit the damage should you be stricken - as Momotaro seems to have done.

-steve hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters
    I truley beleive that KHV is everywhere. To what extent, I don't think we really know. There have been a lot of rumors about KHV in Niigata because a lot of breaders had to put there fish together after the earthquake. We deal with a lot of breaders that have the same integrity as Momotaro, and I truley beleive that if it was rampant in Niigata that the breaders would be the first to expose that they have it. This is the way they do business. We spoke to Torazo, Hosokai and a few others about what we have been hearing about KHV and they were absolute in there assesment of the situation. KHV is not rampant in the hills of Niigata.
    I beleive this and I know this may strike a chord with others, so please voice your opinion.
    Russell, as you mentioned you deal with a lot of breeders in Japan and talking about KHV. Did any breeder mention about supporting KHV Research project in hoping to find a way for prevention or cure this deadly virus?

Best regards,
    --Dinh

Steve,

KHV is now subject to the same paranoia and speculation that accompanied the AIDS virus. I remember serious talks on TV think-tank programmes discussing the liklihood of being infected by a mosquito, a toilet-seat and even rental-car steering wheels. Ignorance created a doubt for the media to exploit and sensationalise. The same is occuring with KHV, and a lot of the speculation is fuelled by members of the trade trying to sabotage their opposition.

I am told that the KHV vector is highly suspected of being like AIDS, i.e. intimate bodily contact.

Personally, I think that rather than fuel the fear with more speculation, it would be more sensible to wait for the results and publications of bodies like the KHV Program.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bern
    Steve,

Personally, I think that rather than fuel the fear with more speculation, it would be more sensible to wait for the results and publications of bodies like the KHV Program.

rgds BERN
    Agree. And hoping that dealers, breeders, and all of koi kichi can help to make KHV research success.

Honmei
    Dihn,
    As I understand it all of the breeders in Japan are supported and monitered by Government services. There program has been in place for years and is working hard to control KHV and find possible solutions for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters
    Dihn,
    As I understand it all of the breeders in Japan are supported and monitered by Government services. There program has been in place for years and is working hard to control KHV and find possible solutions for it.
    Thanks for the info Russell. AKCA is leading and funding the KHV Research project since 2004 at University of North Carolina. Hope University of NC KHV program can exchange some KHV finding info or publications in hoping to speedy the results.

I will try to find out more about J Government services regarding KHV program. But if anyone have any info about J Government KHV info, please sharing.

Best regards,
    --Dinh

Oyagoi
    KHV is pandemic, but confined to planet earth as yet.

Seeing as how Niigata Prefecture, Japan is on Earth, it would follow that KHV is there.

Actually, over half the Prefectures in Japan, including Niigata have reported large KHV related die offs of common carp in rivers, reservoirs, and other bodies of water containing common carp.

We will have to wait and see how many koi breeding farms become infected over the next few years. "Biosecurity" is a new word everybody is learning about.

I bought several koi from Japan early this spring, they were distributed nationwide as well as into my facility (after lengthy quarantine). To date, after many months in and out of the temperature range for KHV at different places ranging from Florida to British Columbia, no reports of KHV outbreaks at any of those places.
    Brett

Bern, I am sorry for phrasing simple facts in the form of questions. Its not speculation or paranoia - just facts.

-steve