Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: tategoi or not quite

Question tategoi or not quite

Hi guys
    Here are some updated pictures of my dainichi tosai, all are about 20cm, I would appreciate your comments, the more i can learn from you guys the better.

The first and second showa have interesting hi patterns. Seems like they have good chance. Two Kohaku are very good. Two steps, simple but nice.

Remember to post nisai pictures.

michael: Given their size, a lot can happen. The reds may still be consolidating. It seems to me that there are mainly male body shapes. A couple look as if they could be female, but at this size it is very difficult to even guess. As they grow, a balance of white with the reds and black will be desirable. More black will fill-in. I think you will find some are already too heavy in pigment for a white contrast to develop, and one that is mainly black on red is one with a possibly female shape. The best of the bunch to my eye? ... well, look for a "high" shoulder, with clean Hi and least Sumi. Know which one I mean? "She" may have a home with you for a few years before you know if it is a permanent home.

I think you are going to have great pleasure (and some frustration is part of the pleasure of koi!) as these develop.

Honmei

Kohaku - Tategoi?

I think that the two step Kohaku is by far the best of the batch. It is very clean and has beautiful skin on its face. Good Luck.

I also like the two step kohaku. It seems to have a good shoulder and the white is outstanding. The first showa is a long is a long way from telling where it will go. Do you know the parent history of development? The first Kohaku is not what I would look for-pattern is not quite there-although as a big fish one steps can be very powerful. Good luck and post the changes.

Mark

I also feel that the nidan kohaku is the best of the group. Dainichi showa can be very hard to predict. The first one is the best of the group of showas. Actually, the hiban of Dainichi blood starts off brownish-orange. Over time, in very good quality water(low TDS and GH) the hi will become thicker as though it is adding a layer each year. When the fish become 5-7 years old seems to be when the females tend to blossom. I currently have a 3.5 year old Dainichi showa. I followed this line of thinking as far as the hi is concerned and it is holding true. The hi and sumi are still at least two years away from looking the way I think they will. It has inazuma hi pattern of sumi on the shirji that look like darts.
    Showas by nature are one of the hardest fish to project. You need to understand what the breeder has in mind for the offspring of the parents he uses - if this suits your taste, and they do well in your pond, then stick with that breeder. Finding this "right" breeder will take some time. My suggestion is to buy one showa from several different well known breeders and see how they develop. Then choose where you go from there.

Mike