Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Quarantine tank

Your Quarantine tank

With all the worries about KHV and the like, I just wonder what everyone's quarantine tank is like, i.e., what size is best and what is the minimum size that will work, along with filtration, etc. Please share.

This is all I use for now, just a 150 tank, I put a bottom drain in it, and a dome as well. This has always worked great!

Next spring I am planning on building a 1000gal. approx Q-Tank out back, with some crazy plumbing so that when I am not isolating a fish, I can use my main pond filter to keep it up, and keep the QT filter good and ready when a new fish arrives, or a problem arrises. So I can shut the pump on the QT down and save a bit of energy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Quarantine tank-im001048.jpg   Your Quarantine tank-im001042.jpg   Your Quarantine tank-im001043.jpg   Your Quarantine tank-im001047.jpg   Your Quarantine tank-im001039.jpg  

I built one in the shed and its made from marine ply which is fixed to a matal unistrutt framwork and the ply is fixed both inside and out to give a sound structure.The tank itseal if Apx 7x4x3 and when filled via a water meter is 428gls.

The filter is a cheap bin which is stuffed with BHM and comes directly from a bottom drain and all the pipe work is in 2" to and pumpped by an Aquamaw 800 so give a good flow rate.

http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums...l_IMG_1876.JPG

http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums...l_IMG_1632.JPG

http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums...l_IMG_1656.JPG

http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums...l_IMG_1652.JPG
    Regards

Gazza

I would never connect a Q-tank to my main pond and isolate with just a valve or two. Should be completely isolated as far from main pond as possible with seperate everything. Biosecurity is unforgiving. Either you got it or you don't. It only takes one mistake or malfunction to contaminate your main system.

Nice job on your tank Chris. I like your idea for a new system, but I think Ray is right on as far as taking a chance on accidently contaminating your entire system. It wouldn't take much to ruin your whole day!

Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    Nice job on your tank Chris. I like your idea for a new system, but I think Ray is right on as far as taking a chance on accidently contaminating your entire system. It wouldn't take much to ruin your whole day!
    I treat every fish that comes here, I am not one that will put a fish into a QT and wait to see if something happens, I want to nip it in the butt before hand. So I feel my QT is cleaner than my pond. The only problem I would see is KHV, but if I didn't know where a fish came from it would be in the QT for a long time. So even if KHV showed up, the QT is isolated (in my mind of how I would build it), that it could be bleached, dried out, and then started up again.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

I too would be worried about any potential for contamination to the pond,but i understand what you are trying to do.

I fill mine with a mix of pond water and RO/mains water and then remove some BHM media from a TT that runs on my skimmer line so that way its a close as i can get to the pond and it can be up and running in no time.

I noticed the glass aquarium heaters in you system and i used to do the same but i have just had one smashed by a couple or horny koi!!!! So they are now inserted into a piece of pipe that is peppered with holes and stuck to the side of the tank.

Yeah, I already smashed one myself (outside the tank), so I only have one left, the other one I have is the titanium rod style, much better. I was looking at that the other night scratching my head going " man if that last heater gets broken it will fry some fishies". As I moved my QT out into the sun and it's not on a GFI I have seen people put a piece of pipe over them before.............. Good idea, just never done it yet

Quote Originally Posted by GazKoi
    I too would be worried about any potential for contamination to the pond,but i understand what you are trying to do.

I fill mine with a mix of pond water and RO/mains water and then remove some BHM media from a TT that runs on my skimmer line so that way its a close as i can get to the pond and it can be up and running in no time.

I noticed the glass aquarium heaters in you system and i used to do the same but i have just had one smashed by a couple or horny koi!!!! So they are now inserted into a piece of pipe that is peppered with holes and stuck to the side of the tank.

Well, I'm going to have to establish a proper QT. Thus far I have used an approx 800 gal pond for QT purposes. It houses goldfish alone normally. But, with larger koi on the horizon, I'm going to have to establish one that will be set up permanently ... probably behind my shadehouse, which is the opposite side of the yard from the pond and its filters. Not much distance for "biosecurity", but if I remember to wash my hands, it should work.

Sansai
    Chris,
    For 25 bucks you can get a 3 foot extension cord with a GFCI on it from home depot - there's really never any good reason to use electricity around water without GFCI protection!

Just today I finished the plumbing on my indoor thousand gallon pond. This is my main pond for right now but will become my quarantine as the quality of my fish, and the space they need, grows. (And one I sell this house and get FAR FAR away from its homeowner's association).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast