Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Food Prior to Winter

Tosai

Best Food Prior to Winter

What are some solid recommendations for end-of-season koi food that will provide the best nutrients and medication necessary to for sustaining the cold winter months. I live in the Bay Area of California where the coldest durations of our winters are shorter than most other areas, but, I want to give them the best advantage I can.

Dennis, your climate is similar to mine maybe a few degrees off. I like to feed wheat germ in this season. Feeding about once a day until it hits 50 degrees. Then I cut them off and fast them for a minimum of 6 weeks. basically don't feed em during your coldest temps. Its good for a koi to cycle through the fourth season and also good for the females to absorb any eggs in body..

Feeding medicated food before winter can be done but I would more likely prefer it begining of spring as the koi immune system is much weaker. Feeding medicated can possibly do more damage to bio filter if food has antibiotic ingredients.

Oh yeah the better wheat germ foods I have found tend to be Hikari wheat Germ and or Ogata...

Good to hear from you Dennis..

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

ONE COMMENT I MIGHT ADD TO jOE'S

HIKARI MAKES A SINKING WHEAT GERM THAT I PREFER USING IN COLDER TEMPS

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    ONE COMMENT I MIGHT ADD TO jOE'S

HIKARI MAKES A SINKING WHEAT GERM THAT I PREFER USING IN COLDER TEMPS
    Dick. is this because it is much easier for koi to eat sinking food so they do not waste precious energy during these less active months?

Joe

I do see the bigger fish lumbering/straining to get up and i do think they take in less than they expend to get up there! They seem happier dealing off the bottom in the cold!

Sansai
    The sinking food is also my favorite as well as my fish's. After feeding this for a few days, they won't come up to the top to feed. The small fish also get their share. The only problem with it is that, once it leaves the top, it's hard to keep track of and sometimes they don't finish. I'm surprised that more kinds of sinking food aren't on the market.

Also, just wanted to add that you can feed "Sweet Potato" pellets, it is from the same makers of "Hi-Silk" and any fish food with vegetable protein is good. The "Sweet Potato is about 23% protein and far less than any other wheatgrem base product. Just stay away from feed that has a high animal protein content. You'll see your fish clean up and bulk up a bit with out having problems during winter.

Also want to add to, that if your fish were fed correctly during summer you should see the results in the winter time. If your fish are fat you shouldn't be feeding at all.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    Also, just wanted to add that you can feed "Sweet Potato" pellets, it is from the same makers of "Hi-Silk" and any fish food with vegetable protein is good. The "Sweet Potato is about 23% protein and far less than any other wheatgrem base product. Just stay away from feed that has a high animal protein content. You'll see your fish clean up and bulk up a bit with out having problems during winter.
    Good info--thanks.

Tosai
    Thanks to all. I like the idea of sinking pellets to minimize extra movement to the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast