Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shusui ?

I saw it somewhere or atleast in my spirit;-))
    Anyway, it is wonderful shusui - another piece of beautiful....

--Dinh

Quote Originally Posted by James P
    Dick, here is one of mine from a long time ago- recognize it from somewhere?

JR

Jumbo
    As you know Dick, Shusui are VERY unforgiving! They need soft water of a neutral 'ish' pH and they need to be protected from themselves! LOLs --Shusui damage VERY easily and tarnish very easily. In fact, they even bruise very easily as evidenced by the swelling under an individual scale that raises the scale a 'distrubing' height above the body- the first time one sees this they get really alarmed and break out the needles. Usually the swelling will go down in a few days on its own. The three 'sins' for all shusui are:

1) tarnished head
    2) shimmies/ darkening of skin
    3) loss of luster

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Jim: You know as your koi develops we might have some critique of it but right now, I think it's doing a pretty good job of holding it's own. Thank-you for starting a post of Shusui.
    Thanks for the comments. I'll post an update next year . Maybe someone can post a pic of a Ki Shusui (a good one that is).
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

1) tarnished head
    3) loss of luster

doesn't sound like a good fish for keeping considering the TLC the owner has to put in. the shusui is so beautiful though. I love the zipper patterns and colar on the same.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by James P
    As you know Dick, Shusui are VERY unforgiving! They need soft water of a neutral 'ish' pH and they need to be protected from themselves! LOLs --Shusui damage VERY easily and tarnish very easily. In fact, they even bruise very easily as evidenced by the swelling under an individual scale that raises the scale a 'distrubing' height above the body- the first time one sees this they get really alarmed and break out the needles. Usually the swelling will go down in a few days on its own. The three 'sins' for all shusui are:

1) tarnished head
    3) loss of luster

Jumbo
    Here is a picture of my Shusui I just got. Comments please, go ahead and pick it apart as I'm just learning. To me it was just a pretty fish. it's about 10 inches long.

Steve,

Since it's a longfin and probably more for pond enjoyment than any serious show consideration...it's an attractive koi!

had it been a standard with show aspirations, the zipper on the shoulder is unkempt, and some black freckles on the back seems to indicate good gosanke water

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow
    Steve,

Since it's a longfin and probably more for pond enjoyment than any serious show consideration...it's an attractive koi!

had it been a standard with show aspirations, the zipper on the shoulder is unkempt, and some black freckles on the back seems to indicate good gosanke water
    Thanks Dick, yes it is just for my enjoyment. i don't plan on ever showing Koi. OK, what do you mean by the zipper being unkept, can you explain please. Once again I am trying to learn.

Hi JR,

What a tremendous shusui you have there. Conformation is good, the zip is so balance and she has symmetrical scales. Yet the hi side is very even distributed. May I know who the breeder of the shusui?

Cheers,

Dick-san

If the Shusui owned by Chris lost the blue on all scales, would you consider this a Kosui? And if so, would it be a good one?

Regenmeneer

Steve: the scales along the top of the dorsal fin along the back need to be a mirror image of each other( like a zipper) any misallighnment begins to take away from the overall uniformity.

A kosui...is a cross between Shusui and Kohaku. While Chris's shusui is loosing it's blue ( kosui has no bluee) the red along the belly is typical shusui and not kosui where you would see a more kohaku like pattern above the lateral line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast