Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shusui ?

Shusui ?

What makes for a good Shusui? In looking through the pics in the last Koi-Bito mag, none of the fish really had a balanced ladder pattern. If the ladder isn't balanced and these fish are winning, what makes them "special"? Is it the balance of the beni coming up the sides? I would have thought that a good quality fish would have a perfect ladder? Fill me in peoples..........

I think the "ladder" which I like to refer to as the ZIPPER is very improtant. One side should line up with the other for perfection. Most often that's almost impossible to find. so a minimal amount of misaligned and redundant scales is the first priority.
    then according to the color version it is....ie say hannah, or hi you look for the
    intensity of red blue and white. A good white forhead is important but red on the face could give it some character. Clear white pecs or like asagi -motoaka is acceptable. With hannah you want the red patch along each side of the dorsal in a long matching patch of red in a blue background. The older the koi the more likely the blue is fading away to white.

when buying tosai, look for the prettiest deepest strongest blue and minimal red but in the right places ( uness you want a hi shusui ) a good white nose
    is a good indicator of a quality face. Hope this helps

Thanks Dick! I was hoping "Master Benbow" would fill me in with his expertice on the blue fish .

Here is what I have, the first pic is the fish when I bought it at 5.5" Aug. 2004 breeder Suda. The others are from this morning, the fish is at least 18" now, it grew like a weed over the summer.
    What's good about this fish and what's bad, is it worth keeping? The ladder/zipper pulled back around the beginning of last spring, I hope that it will come back. The spot on the left side of the fish next to the dorsal fin also disappeared a few months back.
    Don't tell me it's a "nice" fish, give me the skinny on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shusui ?-shusui.jpg   Shusui ?-im001397.jpg   Shusui ?-im001399.jpg   Shusui ?-im001403.jpg  
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

The clean head is impressive. The zipper got pulled waaay back though. I don't think that ever comes back. It might have grown too fast? Most shusui have scales to at least the front of the dorsal. I don't know if this is worthy.

...but nice fish

think it's great you have photgraphic evidence as to how the koi progressed.

really helps you in your learning curve so that you can review.

I think what happened to your koi is just about a wash. The zipper is important and since it's not predominant, I think it can hurt your fish in a show situation up against one that has an impressive array.

That said the face is white and beautiful, the pecs are quite striking, and I think it's a worthy koi to keep and appreciate. Nice body shape as well....

Hey Chris I hope you don't mind but since you started a thread on shusui maybe Mr. Benbow can comment on my little shusui. Don't have any info on him really. I got him in the spring and he was maybe 4". Didn't get much growth out of him as he is only about 8" now. Here is a current pic. What do you think? Please pick him apart so I can learn. Thanks!

Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Nisai
    You guys got some pretty clean Shusui. I like to purchase them small and grow them out, if you pick them out clean as tosai they pretty much set the tone for how clean they will be when they mature.

Don't mind at all Jim.............

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth
    Hey Chris I hope you don't mind but since you started a thread on shusui maybe Mr. Benbow can comment on my little shusui. Don't have any info on him really. I got him in the spring and he was maybe 4". Didn't get much growth out of him as he is only about 8" now. Here is a current pic. What do you think? Please pick him apart so I can learn. Thanks!

Jumbo
    Dick, here is one of mine from a long time ago- recognize it from somewhere?

JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shusui ?-shusui-hanna.jpg  

Jim: You know as your koi develops we might have some critique of it but right now, I think it's doing a pretty good job of holding it's own. Thank-you for starting a post of Shusui.

JR:

Your koi set the standard for the AKCA quide. It's a truely wonderful koi!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for mine. Mat at Quality koi has a pond of shusui to drain and will send me pics of several to select from. I promise to post it when I get it!

Mr Reilly, you know what it takes water wise to keep them well, would you mind elaborating? ( please)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast