Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: The Olson's New Quarantine Tank

The Olson's New Quarantine Tank

Here's a photo from Dan Olson via Dick for all of you to see. New quarantine tank setup....pretty nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Olson's New Quarantine Tank-quarantinepondnov7-2005004.jpg  

as always Dan B, thanks for the assist. The Olson's have some Toshio Sakai koi coming in Monday to test their new facility. I think it shows the proper attention koi-kichi's need to place on havin a proper QT tank in today's world. Congrats to Dan and Sharon for getting it right and I hope this serves as an encouragement
    to others to do the same. I know Dan O will be glad to answer any questions you might have....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Blatt
    Here's a photo from Dan Olson via Dick for all of you to see. New quarantine tank setup....pretty nice.
    Very nice one. I don't have any QT tank yet and thinking about to build one soon. This is indoor QT tank.

BTW, should we build indoor or outdoor QT tank? Comments plz?

--Dinh

Tosai
    Only reason for indoor, our climate in Spokane. We can better control heat conditions inside. Protocol KHV testing, we need to get temperature higher than potential winter conditions will allow.

Today we are heading out to Dick's side of the mountains to pick up our import koi from Japan Monday morning. Comforting to know we have facilities to properly quarantine.

The construction of this tank is concrete with a hopper bottom, sloped to an air dome main drain. We have a total of about 3,700 gallons of water with a depth of 7 1/2 ft.

If you don't have to deal with extreme weather conditions, an inside QT tank really isn't necessary.

here are some additional thoughts of inside versus outside.

outside chances are good you will get enough sunlight and air exchange as to maintain good color and health. inside, it's important to have supplimental full spectrum lighting and a venting system for fresh air exchange or humidity control.

Various reasons for indoor vs. outdoor as Dick and Dan have already mentioned. Mine is indoor and one minus is that indoor temperature of the qtank water is always warmer than pond.....usually have to wait longer than I want for the outside pond temperature to warm up enough to move them out.

The gang met sunday night to enjoy each other's company over dinner.

This morning in a few Hrs we're off to the airport to await customs and fish and game clearance to collect our living jewels...

I'll try and see if Gene Anderson will shoot some pics and post them so you can see what treasures are being entrusted to the QT tank. Might take a day or two
    but know you'll enjoy the experience...

well everything arrived in first class shape. Gene has taken pictures and I'm hopeful he will post tuesday for us. His tancho sanke was very nice, a gift for his B'day. Sharon got a beautiful new sanke and dan a great kohaku. All 10 of the koi were pretty impressive. mountain pass should have been clear as day was sunny and warm on the west side.

I think back a few decades ago when shipments could be a tramatic experience
    with compromised koi. No ammonia smell, fish happy, those new absorbent pads
    keep the water really in great shape.

Cool!! .......